Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

storyofyouandme

Exchange of sn74cbt3253pwr, sn74cbt3253cpwr and fst3253mtcx.

Post by storyofyouandme »

Hello, dl2man and all hams participating in this project on this forum, I would like to discuss the replacement of 3253 chips, because it is well known that JLC chips are out of stock and you can't get them through SMT. Under the background of continuous chip shortage, we may be able to buy one or two of them, Therefore, if a project wants to be healthy and sustainable, it is necessary for chip supply. Therefore, it is of practical significance for us to discuss the replacement of chips here. I hope that successful friends can experiment and replace them for reference. I believe most participants can't understand the parameters of the chip manufacturer's instructions, so I hope dl2man can add a line selection on its motherboard to adapt to these three chips. Here are some of my suggestions. Welcome to discuss and exchange. Thank you.
Kazu.T

Re: Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Post by Kazu.T »

Hi Guido,

Thank you for this great project, I really enjoy building the (tr)uSDX as well as porting your open source uSDX code to other MCUs.

I was looking for the menu "2.2 CW Tone" but not exist. After little reverse-engineering the (tr)uSDX firmware image, I realized that you didn't enable the "FILTER_700HZ" macro switch.

Do you have a plan to support this option?

As Manuel has suggested me in other thread, if I can help you in the firmware side, please let me know! I am more than happy to work on that.
Kazu. AG6NS
storyofyouandme

Questions about 3253 and 32 ohm horns

I carefully read the technical specifications of sn74cbt3253, sn74cbt3253c and fst3253mtcx, and also compared the sandwich motherboard drawing of dl2man and truusdx motherboard drawing. Personally, I think sn74cbt3253 \ sn74cbt3253c \ fst3253mtcx can be interchanged because the pins are consistent and the wiring of the drawing is consistent, unless limited by the new version of software. As for the 32 ohm speaker, I tried the 8 ohm speaker and used it the same way. In fact, this external speaker is more appropriate to be called headphone external, which is equivalent to a large headphone speaker. The disadvantage of both 32 ohm and 8 ohm speakers is that the sound is relatively small. You know, it cost me $4 to find this pair of 32 ohm trumpets, while the 8 ohm is only one twentieth of his. I hope it will help you.

aloha

Re: Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Post by aloha »

For OLED display panel, why jumper from the input end (Vin) of U2 voltage stabilizing chip to C6? If the OLED display panel is not modified, what will be the problem? thank you
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

@storyofyouandme:
As you figured out, there´s plenty of alternatives available for the 3253. We do not want to deviate from that, as this is supposed to be a "standard". This is a general statement: The hardware is SET and will only be changed for good reasons, not for saving a few cents, not for convenience, not for "i like that one better".... Noone is forced to follow our suggestions, but we´ve tested it the way we rolled it out, so we know it works. Any deviation from that needs to be tested, documented etc... And if you deviate, and have problems you´re on your own.
Regarding speakers: 8 Ohms can be used, but put the ATMega to it´s current limit 2 Volume Steps earlier compared to 32 Ohm Speaker. For 32 Ohms -> Max Volume Setting is 15 for 40mA Current Draw per Port. For 8 Ohms, this limit is already reached at Volume Level 12-13.

@aloha:
Removing the 2 Capacitors disables the "Charge Pump", an on board DC Upconverter. The wire supplies the OLED with clean 5V. The mod is neccessary, because otherwise you could hear your OLED in the receiver... OLEDs are known to be noisy and this way we get around that.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
storyofyouandme

Thanks for dl2man's serious reply.

Thanks for dl2man's serious reply. Dl2man's scientific spirit is admirable. I decided to use the 32 ohm speaker recommended by him and use the same earphone speaker as him. The sound quality of this 32 ohm speaker is better than that of ordinary film 32 ohm speaker. As for 3253, I have confirmed that I can't get sn74cbt3253, but can only get sn74cbt3253c. The dealer said that sn74cbt3253c is new to sn74cbt3253, which has only inventory and has been sold out and can't be purchased in batch. If time permits, I will test this and share it. Thank you again for the excellent design of dl2man.
G8RDI

Post by G8RDI »

I must have missed it, but on GitHub I couldn't find the source code, could someone share the link?
73, Rob; G8RDI
aloha

Post by aloha »

DL2MAN wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 08:51 @storyofyouandme:
As you figured out, there´s plenty of alternatives available for the 3253. We do not want to deviate from that, as this is supposed to be a "standard". This is a general statement: The hardware is SET and will only be changed for good reasons, not for saving a few cents, not for convenience, not for "i like that one better".... Noone is forced to follow our suggestions, but we´ve tested it the way we rolled it out, so we know it works. Any deviation from that needs to be tested, documented etc... And if you deviate, and have problems you´re on your own.
Regarding speakers: 8 Ohms can be used, but put the ATMega to it´s current limit 2 Volume Steps earlier compared to 32 Ohm Speaker. For 32 Ohms -> Max Volume Setting is 15 for 40mA Current Draw per Port. For 8 Ohms, this limit is already reached at Volume Level 12-13.

@aloha:
Removing the 2 Capacitors disables the "Charge Pump", an on board DC Upconverter. The wire supplies the OLED with clean 5V. The mod is neccessary, because otherwise you could hear your OLED in the receiver... OLEDs are known to be noisy and this way we get around that.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Thanks for DL2MAN's reply, which let me know the reason. Such a rigorous and subtle work, no wonder it has such good performance. Thank you!
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

G8RDI wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 10:47 I must have missed it, but on GitHub I couldn't find the source code, could someone share the link?
73, Rob; G8RDI
(tr)uSDX ist not open source, so we publish only the hex files.
As stated on my Website: The License of PCBs Schematics and Software is CC BY ND. After what happend with the Chinese and the many bad uSDRs out there, we want to make sure, everything is according to our defined standards.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Poptarts_McGee

Post by Poptarts_McGee »

In the posted schematics for the RF board, some of the capacitor values for the band modules are listed as "-". Does this mean they are left unpopulated/DNF? Or does it mean to use the same value as the nearest capacitor?

Apologies for the dumb question :?
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Poptarts_McGee wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 00:44 In the posted schematics for the RF board, some of the capacitor values for the band modules are listed as "-". Does this mean they are left unpopulated/DNF? Or does it mean to use the same value as the nearest capacitor?

Apologies for the dumb question :?
Those capacitors do not need to be placed.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

Hi Guys,

Could you comment?: viewtopic.php?t=93

Thanks and 73,

Robert, WA2T
G8RDI

Post by G8RDI »

Hi, great product, love the design, I'd like to ask what in your view, would be the best way to get a spectrum waterfall display working on something like fldigi connected to the latest (tr)usdx rig?
Sorry if this post exists elsewhere, I searched but didn't see it.
73, GW8RDI, Rob
storyofyouandme

Relay and minimum receiving frequency

In my opinion, hfd4 / 5L relay cannot replace im43 relay. If considering the cost factor, I prefer to use im42 instead of im43, because 42 is often cheaper. In addition, I think the minimum receiving frequency of USDX can be about 600kh, provided that your low-pass and antenna match. Of course, I am based on dl2 and web version, except for the inferior version copied by Mr Xiaowang on express.
For the lowest receiving frequency, I think the single band version of the web is more playable, because it can easily replace the low-pass to match the antenna. At present, I can receive MW radio stations with about 900khz with the dl2 version. Have a good time.
DL2MAN

Re: Relay and minimum receiving frequency

Post by DL2MAN »

storyofyouandme wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 08:04 In my opinion, hfd4 / 5L relay cannot replace im43 relay.
Would you mind to explain, what your opinion is based on ?

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
storyofyouandme

I think the direction of feet is opposite. I've seen the dl2 version of USDX with im42, but I haven't seen anyone replace hfd4 / 5L.
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

Hi Manuel & Guido,

A friend told me he has his (tr)uSDX connected to the PC only by USB cable, no audio cables. He told me he is receiving decodes! Is this even possible to transfer audio via the USB micro port?

I can't find any info on it, and can't even achieve it. I didn't think it was meant to be possible.

Ian MM0GYX
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

storyofyouandme wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 10:15 I think the direction of feet is opposite. I've seen the dl2 version of USDX with im42, but I haven't seen anyone replace hfd4 / 5L.
Please excuse me Manuel for commenting but....

This sounds like nonsense to me, look at the datasheets for all you need to know. When you view the internal schematic of coils using these datasheets bear in mind that one datasheet is top view the other uses bottom view, but pins are identical. I haven't tested it, but it is clear from datasheet that pins are the same, coil impedance is the same and voltage pull in is the same.

https://docs.rs-online.com/5878/0900766b81663d10.pdf

https://docs.rs-online.com/d579/0900766b81398237.pdf
storyofyouandme

Thank you very much for your reminder. I read the wrong view, but no one has tried to replace it with hfd4 / 5L. Because im43 is out of stock, I bought im42. I hope you can test hfd4 / 5L, because it is much cheaper than im43 / 42. I look forward to your results.
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

Hey guys, just a couple questions. I have a kit arriving soon for the (tr)uSDX.

Is the Sandwich the same as the (tr)uSDX?

Can we follow the instructions here https://youtu.be/Y88LbcMGrIo for the (tr)uSDX or should we only follow the instructions here https://dl2man.de/3a-trusdx-bootloader/ for software programming?

Thanks!
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Hi,
USMCSS wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 12:33 (...)
(...)
It´s the predecessor of the (tr)uSDX, so not the same. It´s the father of (tr)uSDX.
should we only follow the instructions here https://dl2man.de/3a-trusdx-bootloader/ for software programming? (...)
Only https://dl2man.de/3a-trusdx-bootloader/
and https://dl2man.de/3b-trusdx-firmware/
apply to (tr)uSDX

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
USMCSS

Post by USMCSS »

DL2MAN wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 15:07 Hi,
(...)
It´s the predecessor of the (tr)uSDX, so not the same. It´s the father of (tr)uSDX.
should we only follow the instructions here https://dl2man.de/3a-trusdx-bootloader/ for software programming? (...)
Only https://dl2man.de/3a-trusdx-bootloader/
and https://dl2man.de/3b-trusdx-firmware/
apply to (tr)uSDX

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Thank You Manuel!!!
Nacho

Future support for 17/15/12/10m (and 11 m?)

Post by Nacho »

Thanks so much Guido and Manuel for this amazing project.
Is there a schedule/roadmap for the future support for 17/15/12/10m?
Do you plan to include 11 m/27 MHz as well?
73 Nacho
EA2AYO
ke1g

Post by ke1g »

All the parts have finally arrived for the group buy which I am managing. (Hooray!)

But some of my orders ask both that I program the firmware, while also allowing them to do the SMT soldering for the parts that JLB-PCB did not install (which, for 30 of my 80 boards, includes the ATMega328, for which I have a ZIF socket). They will all be installing their own displays.

That means that I will be programing without the display. That's fine for the boot loader, but how can I get the serial number so that I can download the correct radio firmware for the part? Can it be read using the arduino ISP board?

And since the USB port won't be available, can I install the radio firmware (once downloaded) using the arduino ISP board?

Thanks, and 73, Bill KE1G
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

ke1g wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 19:50 All the parts have finally arrived for the group buy which I am managing. (Hooray!)

But some of my orders ask both that I program the firmware, while also allowing them to do the SMT soldering for the parts that JLB-PCB did not install (which, for 30 of my 80 boards, includes the ATMega328, for which I have a ZIF socket). They will all be installing their own displays.

That means that I will be programing without the display. That's fine for the boot loader, but how can I get the serial number so that I can download the correct radio firmware for the part? Can it be read using the arduino ISP board?

And since the USB port won't be available, can I install the radio firmware (once downloaded) using the arduino ISP board?

Thanks, and 73, Bill KE1G
Hi Bill,

You cannot get the serial without the screen, AFAIK.
You can install the firmware with the bootloader 'in one', this is an option on the beta firmware download page. You need the serial for this ;)

I suggest you install the bootloader, and then they can install the firmware themselves once the screen is in place. It really is not difficult and only requires a micro USB cable which most people have at least one, if not five, lying around their house.