Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

reytek79

Re: Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Post by reytek79 »

DL2MAN wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 18:10 This has technical reasons.
It turned out that on SSB TX the AtMega is sooooo busy, that it is very hard to do implement SWR measurement.
It´s top priority on ToDo List, but at this point not sure if we can do it....

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Wouldn't it be possible to assemble a board with STM32 which has the processing power to replace ATMEGA? I think it would improve a lot of processing power and could even add new features.
DL2MAN

Re: Sticky: Post (tr)uSDX questions for the developers (Manuel DL2MAN and Guido PE1NNZ) in here

Post by DL2MAN »

reytek79 wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 23:36 Wouldn't it be possible to assemble a board with STM32 which has the processing power to replace ATMEGA? I think it would improve a lot of processing power and could even add new features.
It would be possible, but ATMega328 is part of the DNA of this project. So we won´t change that.
There are lots of available Projects out there, using STM32 or other Powerful Processors.
Just not the (tr)uSDX.....

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
reytek79

Post by reytek79 »

DL2MAN wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 13:56
reytek79 wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 23:36 Wouldn't it be possible to assemble a board with STM32 which has the processing power to replace ATMEGA? I think it would improve a lot of processing power and could even add new features.
It would be possible, but ATMega328 is part of the DNA of this project. So we won´t change that.
There are lots of available Projects out there, using STM32 or other Powerful Processors.
Just not the (tr)uSDX.....

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
The (tr)uSDX is by far the best tank project in component quality as well as support and extensive documentation, but I think they should look more fondly at the idea of greater processing power, if one with the quality that everyone has will happen prefer (tr)uSDX for sure
db9pz

Post by db9pz »

" Is it currently possible to change the CW side-tone frequency to 700Hz? If not, is this something that could be implemented in future firmware?

I can't see this mentioned anywhere so apologies if it has been already dealt with.

Cheers,
Ronan "

----end of message before----

That is something, I am also looking for, ... !

it so bad for me with the 550Hz, because of my tinitus!
-PLEASE - let there be a solution to alter the tone, that "hurts" in my ears.

73/72 de markus - db9pz
DL9GZ

Post by DL9GZ »

Dear Manuel, dear Guido,
Since I practice CW in squeezing in Ultimatic Mode only, I awfully miss this in the regarding (tr)usdx's menu; unfortunately I am not able practizing straight or Iambic modes.
Therefore, I request to add this wanted mode within a new firmware if possible.
Thanks a lot and sorry for any inconvenience by that.
73 Günther, DL9GZ
Last edited by DL9GZ on 20 Apr 2023, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
elTrauko

Post by elTrauko »

Manuel and Guido,
have you considered the possibility of developing a small linear amplifier of about 10 -15 W?; with 10w we would have the world in our hands...

https://youtu.be/8CoWK1eKEQA

Gracias por éste entretenido bandas clasicas
César CA7OKD
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

https://www.qrp-labs.com/linear.html
Not tiny but not huge either
Needs an LPF for the band you are using, placed after it
N6WLM

Post by N6WLM »

I'm interested to see how different the 1.0 schematic is from the new 1.2 Rev. I've done all the suggested modifications so I'm not sure I'll upgrade yet. Manuel, do you have a new Rev 1.2 schematic and ibom you could share? Thank you for all the hard work!
Constrainted

Post by Constrainted »

This is a response to the Youtube Group Chat hosted by DL2MAN and PE1NNZ on 5/21/23. They asked the users for suggestions about the future of truSDX. I did not attend live, but here are my responses:

1. Satisfy your own curiosity and needs for the truSDX, as you have done up until now.
2. Consider taking away components, features, options, power consumption as you did before.

Thanks for truSDX. I do not think I would have gotten on HF without it. It allowed me to get proficient at digital modes and opened the door to CW. My model has FW 2.00i. I have only dipped a little bit into the capability of this radio, but I have had so much fun with it!

Consider these ideas for simplification:

smaller display
drop some filter widths
maintain drop of FM and AM modes
drop LSB and keep USB for digimodes
adapt the multifunctions of the push keys to eliminate Enter, but keep shortcuts
multiplex Audio and Mic/PTT, drop a TRS jack
watchdog power-down to save power
simplify 12V power and power over USB issue to use a single connector
drop Menu 1.9 NR , I have not seen any advantage
drop Menu 1.10 ATT, I don't touch it
drop Menu 1.11 ATT2 I don't touch it
drop Menu 2.4 Semi-qsk
drop Menu 3.2 Noise Gate, I did not see it improve SSB voice
drop Menu 8.3 Ref freq, insufficient precision for Vara HF and MFSK, I still need to adjust -/+ by hand
reduce 5-band RF boards to 2-3 band RF boards (until QRP antennas catch up to 5-band QRP truSDX)
drop speaker and microphone, require a headset

to expand:

any features to improve CW performance and ease of use for skillful operators
split display into slow and fast
E-ink displays slow information (freq, menu, callsign, mode, filter)
smaller OLED displays fast information (CW decode, T/R, S meter, waterfall)
provide a way to export decoded CW (thanks for a great decoder)
CW decode with recall/replay capability
use the Keyer and Morse Code to send instructions or shortcuts to the radio (crazy!!)
CW side tone adjust ( I know you have already said impossible)
Full QSK
improve SSB voice both TX and RX
improve speaker/mic
fix NR processing
add more bandwidth filters
brighter OLED display in sunlight
provide a way to sustain the tune signal while adjusting a manual tuner
sweep a frequency range for SWR to check antennas in the field
fix Menu 8.3 Ref freq for finer adjustment, necessary for Vara HF and MFSK
alternative BOM for water-tight/dust-proof connectors and enclosure for field radios
precision clock or allow precision clock input/output
satellite position receiver, select on/off, ability to get data out
onboard soundcard for digimodes, unpowered when not in use
2-3-band RF board with 20W output
2-3-band RF board with onboard power
2-3-band RF board with antenna match tuner
something like a waterfall display, but better for power consumption
self-test and diagnostics
diagnostics for PA stage and tuning
diagnostics for digimode power consumption
log operating time, power consumption
expand USB CAT/data streaming
ability to mirror display
native digimodes
introduce new digimode on truSDX
implement a native digital point-to-point mode (FSK/QAM + ARQ like Pactor or Vara)
break out I/Q signals for external processing
HERMES protocol bridge

73 Constrainted
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

With the version 1.0 main boards, how are people doing the mod to add C38 & C40 to the lines going to the U9 LT6132 op amp, to make them like version 1.2?
Where, physically on the board, do you add the extra caps? So far, the only thing I can figure is to replace the 0603 100 ohm resistors with maybe a 0402 cap and 0402 resistor in series.

Also, my understanding is that with a DanTayloe type detector you want the four lines going into the op amp to be as symmetrical and equal as possible, so would it be okay to add two caps to the plus lines as well as the minus ones? I realize it increases cost and complexity but would there be any performance negatives?

Another question, 10 uF X5R ceramic caps for C38 &C40, I would think might be microphonic, and right in the signal path. Would that negate the benefits of changing C25,26,27,28 from microphonic ceramic caps to the not microphonic tantalum ones?
KA1FT

Post by KA1FT »

Hi guys. I just finished building the Classic version. Given that the (tr)usdx can measure SWR, it is possible for the firmware to reduce power when it detects high SWR, possibly by reducing the TX drive or reducing the max PA bias? Right now the radio seems to have no protection against high SWR. Not sure if this would be possible for SSB, given the low duty cycle, but I would think it would be possible for digital modes where the carrier is on long enough to get a measurement.
Regards
Brian
KA1FT
Karavan

Post by Karavan »

Hello Manual and Guide!
Please tell me, or at least hint ;) in which direction you want to develop the (tr)uSDX project? What projects are you considering for yourself in the future?
Thank you, Vladimir - UB8CQB!
AC8L

Post by AC8L »

I have managed to protect mosfets on both low and hi band versions using 1N4756A zener diode, soldered between RF and ground (see pictures). It protects both BS170 and FDT86256. I could transmit without dummy load and antenna (empty connector, transmit with untuned antenna (high SWR). Usually mosfets blow when I use AT-10/100 autotuner. Since this mod I have never lost a mosfet! I have 3 trUSDX radios, two low band and one hi band, modded all of them. Did not notice any negative side effects, no spurious emissions, harmonics or something like that.

With you next RF PCB revision - could you include this kind of simple mosfet protection?

Sardar (AC8L).
IMG_0202.jpeg
IMG_0202.jpeg (178.95 KiB) Viewed 850 times
IMG_0201.jpeg
IMG_0201.jpeg (236.71 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Chip

Post by Chip »

Pretty cool. I think that would mess with the class e though. What is efficiency on it compared too it without?
S52CQ

Post by S52CQ »

Hello Manuel and Guido!

I have a proposal to include a preselector for RX. I gather that there is enough space on the PCB to make SMD preselector for each band. Say something like this, but for less bands.

Just a thought...
73 de S52CQ, Jure
dk5hr

Post by dk5hr »

DL9GZ wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 16:20 Dear Manuel, dear Guido,
Since I practice CW in squeezing in Ultimatic Mode only, I awfully miss this in the regarding (tr)usdx's menu; unfortunately I am not able practizing straight or Iambic modes.
Therefore, I request to add this wanted mode within a new firmware if possible.
Thanks a lot and sorry for any inconvenience by that.
73 Günther, DL9GZ
Just wanted to say that I'm also interested in Ultimatic mode.

73 de Reiner, DK5HR
AC8L

Post by AC8L »

Chip wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 18:57 Pretty cool. I think that would mess with the class e though. What is efficiency on it compared too it without?
No change in efficiency.