My thoughts so far

M0XMT

My thoughts so far

Post by M0XMT »

Hi All,
Just want to let you know my experiences so far.

I got an *Rxxxx* kit and loaded the bootloader OK. Had no luck loading the firmware and, eventually destroyed the MCU as a result of bad wiring. Replaced the MCU and re-programmed boot loader but could not load firmware. Replaced CH340. Nothing.

Ordered from China. Worked out of the box. So far 600mw on 20 M cw. I have not got around to tuning efficiency or putting on VNA but the Chinese one works.

My thoughts.

Soldering on these boards is difficult even for someone that is used to SMD. Tiny caps. It has made me intrested to buy a microscope and more SMD tools.

The whole project is experimental and that is a good thing but DL2MAN should emphesis that to avoid negative feedback.

This is not a full working radio as you receive it but it can be if you are in the true spirit of a radio amatuer or experimenter.

I think Manuel and Guido have done a fantastic job in creating this. It is what we have all been waiting for. A REAL sdr. BUT Consider it BETA at best.

Dont think of it as a $100 radio, buy 2 or you will be disappointed if you have a problem with one. Think of it as investment in a project.

I think the tru(U) SDR has HUGE potential and am very happy to be part of it. Even if it costs me some dead MCU's.

73's
Faraaz VK4JJ

Re: My thoughts so far

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

Seems like you were expecting a Yaesu in a nice box with a thick manual for $100, rather than two PCBs and a bagful of components ;)

PS: did you ever try to flash the bootloader via ICSP that was suggested to you on your other thread?
M0XMT

Post by M0XMT »

Hi Faraaz,
Yea nothing works on the *Rxxxx* board. ICSP will load but it won't boot. I'll keep trying. The point of the post was that people don't expect a shack in as mall box although I beleive it has the potential given my experiences with the Chinese one that does work.

M0XMT
ae5x

Post by ae5x »

Sorry about your problems. I still have not built my *Rxxxx* kit but did receive a pre-built (tr)uSDX as well from an eBay seller mentioned on DL2MAN's website.

So far, I've made 3 POTA activations with the rig on CW and SSB, on a variety of bands, using temporary wire and whip antennas. I'll do one more, then combine them into a video for YouTube. To sum up what those videos will indicate, the rig is amazing. Audio reports have been favorable (I ask for them frequently) and contacts are easy to make on both modes. A 90-minute activation typically uses 300 mAH from my 3AH battery. Amazing stuff.

I hope you get your problems sorted - it'll be worth it.

John
https://ae5x.blogspot.com/
EI3HIB

Post by EI3HIB »

Hi John,

Just another note on the power consumption - I left my (tr)uSDX on overnight for a total of about 12 hours, connected to a Raspberry Pi 4 running JS8Call.

I enabled the heartbeat networking setting which meant it was sending pretty often.

I had the radio connected to a 8aH LiFePO4 battery and wasn't sure what to expect when I put it on to charge after the ~12 hours of operation.

Well..... the battery was sitting at 13.29v and was fully charged after getting just 900mAH.

So as you say - amazing stuff!

Dave