Display not working.

alq23

Display not working.

Post by alq23 »

Hello all!

I recently bought a trusdx kit from https://www.qrphamradiokits.com

Due to all the excitement, I built the kit a bit of in a rush. After completing and soldering everything together it would not power on, not with USB and not with 12V. I straight away assumed I must have messed up the oled mod, so I took the whole thing apart without any further troubleshooting (only thing I did was connect it to the computer and avrdudes was recognizing the device).

During the de-solder process, I managed to mess up 2 of the through-holes on J5, completely removing the pads and the little barrel inside of the hole (SCL and SDA). To fix that, I connected jumper cables from the pins to the small pads on U4. I checked that there are no shorts and checked for continuity on all the pins of the screen.

Again I tried to power on the board, this time without connecting the RF board, and the screen still doesn't power on.

Additional information:
1) Oled should not be defective as I bought a pack of spares on amazon, and even after replacement it still doesnt work.
2) Bootloader is supposed to be installed on the board already. Board has a sticker saying "Bootloader installed, checked OK"
3) I did a continuity check from bottom of C6 to VCC to check if the mod was good. ( I read this somewhere on another post in this forum)

At this point I am out of ideas and reaching out for your help. Are there any other troubleshooting tips you can suggest? Or did I get a faulty board?

Thank you all in advance.

Here is a picture of my jumpers
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-24 at 3.58.40 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-24 at 3.58.40 PM.jpeg (199.74 KiB) Viewed 673 times
alq23

Re: Display not working.

Post by alq23 »

So in the end I got it working. It was a soldering issue. I missed the 2 ground joints on the bottom of the OLED and even though my multimeter beeped when i checked VCC pin the first time, it had a bad connection. So after some resoldering, the screen is displaying the serial number!

Lesson learned, next time no matter how excited I am, take it slow :lol: