What to Expect from Pre-Built Unit: Tuning, firmware, etc

LMJ

What to Expect from Pre-Built Unit: Tuning, firmware, etc

Post by LMJ »

Just ordered from the approved Ebay builder and it's been shipped.

I'm going to measure the power output when I get the radio and curious if the builder has done any
tuning. Probably not I suppose but one can hope.

I'm also curious if I'll have to upgrade the firmware myself. I have a little experience with embedded systems and not terribly afraid to try.

Can owners of pre-built radios add any "easy" mods (approved) that they find are typical ?
I didn't see a FAQ on this, perhaps I missed it ?

Or perhaps there's a FAQ on how to test the radio once it's complete. Maybe the build instructions have that.
Last edited by LMJ on 26 May 2022, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.
AC9YY

Re: What to Expect from Pre-Built Unit: Tuning, firmware, etc

Post by AC9YY »

I did not have to do any mods, but did have to adjust the reference frequency to get the readout to work correctly. It is easy to do by tuning to WWV and beating against that or comparing a signal to another radio.
LMJ

Post by LMJ »

Thanks for the reply.

Did you look at the various coils ? I'm curious if the T2 rewire to 3:21 (turns) is now standard ?

I might have to order a kit after the first arrives, there's so much to learn from this system.

AC9YY

Post by AC9YY »

I did and even used my NanoVNA, but it was so close I decided it was enough power and efficiency to leave well enough alone. I don't think any of the pre-built units or kits are using the changed ratio for T2 yet. Same for a kit I built and the pre-built unit I ordered from the approved vendor.
LMJ

Post by LMJ »

@ACY99 Well I hope to contact you on the air then. JS8 is my favorite HF mode for 5 Watts. Although I've had some success with SSB when I use a good antenna late in the afternoon. Colorado is open to me from California.

My fav antenna has been a doublet run up a Tacmini FG pole, fed with window line and a Ztec tuner. It's sort of a hassle to setup with all the wires and guys.

73!
AC9YY

Post by AC9YY »

LMJ wrote: 27 May 2022, 04:47 @ACY99 Well I hope to contact you on the air then. JS8 is my favorite HF mode for 5 Watts. Although I've had some success with SSB when I use a good antenna late in the afternoon. Colorado is open to me from California.

My fav antenna has been a doublet run up a Tacmini FG pole, fed with window line and a Ztec tuner. It's sort of a hassle to setup with all the wires and guys.

73!
WSPR is the one digital mode I use to get an idea of propagation in my area. The (tr)uSDX with a decent antenna can do well. I have a simple OCFD 40 feet high on one end and 25 on the other and made a SSB QSO with the (tr)uSDX over 4,800 miles to Bosnia and Herzegovina. I typically run on 40, 20 or 10 meters. I have other transceivers and an amp, but there is something special about a QRP QSO. Hope to hear you via SSB at some point.

Jim