Control settings for ATT and Noise Gate? etc.

N6YWU

Control settings for ATT and Noise Gate? etc.

Post by N6YWU »

Trying to figure out the controls on my new (tr)uSDX.

A couple details I couldn't find in any manuals:

How should one choose an ATT (1 or 2), and determine what ATT setting works best?
Does the (tr)uSDX typically work better with the AGC on or off?
Is the Noise Gate value only used when VOX is on?
What method can be used to figure out an optimal Noise Gate setting?

Does one need to set an RIT value when operating CW, or can it be left at zero?
What's the difference in behavior between Semi QSK on or off?
What does the IQ phase control do? Should I try tweaking it if I hear opposite sideband bleed though?

I figured out how to set the Reference frequency by transmitting into a dummy load, and using another SDR receiver with an audio spectrum viewer to match the signal against WWV.
I assume a general user should not touch the Bias settings, TX drive and delay, but leave them at the factory default values. Is this correct?

Thanks and 73, Ron, N6YWU
K6ARK

Re: Control settings for ATT and Noise Gate? etc.

Post by K6ARK »

Ron,

That's a lot of questions, and I don't have all of the answers, but I'll fill in where I'm able.
Does the (tr)uSDX typically work better with the AGC on or off?
I prefer to use ACG as it relatively effectively manages RF gain on receive for strong incoming signals.
Is the Noise Gate value only used when VOX is on?
No, from what I can tell, "Noise Gate" acts as a limit switch for ALC on transmit. If it's too low, ALC seems to crank up the mic gain and cause poor quality and distortion. Too high and it clips your quieter transmit audio. I could be wrong on how this is functioning, so perhaps someone more knowledgable can fill in.
What method can be used to figure out an optimal Noise Gate setting?
I figured this out through experimentation - transmitting into a dummy load and listening on a nearby receiver to find the settings that resulted in the best transmit audio.
Does one need to set an RIT value when operating CW, or can it be left at zero?
RIT should generally be left at zero for normal CW operation.
What's the difference in behavior between Semi QSK on or off?
Time delay when switching from TX to RX. Semi QSK off is essentially full break in.

Adam
K6ARK