JS8CALL issues

Marco

JS8CALL issues

Post by Marco »

Hey all,
I have read the FLRIG cat control thread with some anticipation as I didn't realize that I could do CAT control with the (tr)uSDX.

First, here's my setup.
(tr)uSDX radio (works!)
Raspberry Pi 4
DIGIRIG as sound/cat control device.

I've build the connection cable for the Sound/Mike output/input. This goes from sound out and mike in into a single Jack(Audio) in the digirig. Now that I know I can get cat working, I have to make a cable for that.

My issue is as follows: I can get JS8CALL to receive/decode signals. What I can't seem to get to happen is to get the rig to key up automatically when I TX on JS8. If I hold down the PTT key as JS8 goes into TX mode, then signal goes out and people can see me and respond to my HB.

I've been told by the folks at digirig that there should be no issue with not using CAT control and just using the audio plugs from skp and Mike, and that I should be able to automatically key up the rig automatically.

Any ideas what I might not be setting up correctly? Here's how I have things currently setup.
js81.JPG
js81.JPG (69.8 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
G0UJA

Re: JS8CALL issues

Post by G0UJA »

I imagine you need to set the PTT to VOX in the software and then enable VOX in the (tr)uSDX menu to key the radio using the audio from the PC?
73 de James G0UJA
Marco

Post by Marco »

Thanks,
I had started out that way initially but the radio stayed permanently key'ed up then. The DIGIRIG person suggested not using VOX and using DTS. He said the signal to tx uses the DTS.

I'm seriously thinking of just making a cable and using Rig Control now that I know the (tr)uSDX will do it. I just need to know the pinout from the USB port on the (tr)uSDX over to the cable that goes into the DIGIRIG. I've got an e-mail back over to DIGIRIG on this.
G0UJA

Post by G0UJA »

Without being pedantic, I think you mean RTS not DTS to avoid confusion.

From your post it sounds like you just have the audio lines connected so there is nothing to actually switch the PTT.

I also think you may be misunderstanding how the CAT control works - you only need to connect to the (tr)uSDX via a micro USB lead and then select the correct COM port and speed to communicate with it via your chosen application. This should not be confused with the DIGIRIG CAT control - they are 2 totally separate entities of CAT using 2 different COM ports and because the (tr)uSDX only needs a USB connection for CAT control you can not worry about the DIGIRIG CAT control unless you want to use it to switch the PTT in which case you may also need to enable the hardware PTT jumpers on the DIGIRIG as per the website because by default this is not active.

If you only have the cable made and connected for audio in & out of the (tr)uSDX to the DIGIRIG then the rig PTT will not work until you build and connect the lead to use this function, then you can enable the serial RTS signal to control the PTT line in the software whilst of course ensuring that it is set to use to correct COM port which will be different to the port used for CAT control of the rig via USB.

As a work around you can use VOX to control the PTT without the need for this or you could try to simply use the USB lead and try PTT via CAT although I did find this made the CAT connection crash in WSJT-X and I had to restart the rig after every TX pass so I went for VOX which seems more stable.
73 de James G0UJA
M5AEI

Post by M5AEI »

I do not know what you have read already on this forum but this may help.

viewtopic.php?p=2808#p2808

I have two pi's running on two separate (tr)uSDX and one using Hampi image with JS8Call i can use the radio settings within JS8Call using TS-480 a suitable audio lead and a Micro USB lead and the everything works fine. On the other I have Build a pi image and have to run flrig for JS8Call to work. I do not know what is going on but I am happy that they both work if differently.

Good luck and persevere, the CAT works great once you have the settings.
2M0ufo

Post by 2M0ufo »

Another option would be to use a usb to comport adapter cable and use that com ports RTS to key PTT.
Use a stereo to mono y splitter on the radios Mic/Key socket to separate TX Audio in to Mic line and RTS from USB com adapter into Key line.
Cheers
Stevie
2M0ufo