Solution for (tr)uSDX programming via USB Issue

DL2MAN

Solution for (tr)uSDX programming via USB Issue

Post by DL2MAN »

Hi All,

We´ve spent some time, to investigate the issue that some boards would have problems to accept communication via USB Port.

We found that the firmware upload issue is related to ATMEGA328PB production quality issues, specifically the batches marked with 2141D and 2138D on the chip label. (within our samples)
To make that clear: Not all Chips from those Batches are affected, and those named Batches are probably not the only ones, that show those signs.

The affected Chips cannot properly handle an input-level on PD0/RXD pin of (VCC + 0.3V, see also [1]), causing the (115200 baud asynchronous) serial communications to fail (missing characters), resulting in synchronisation issues during the firmware upload process.

So the Solution to that would be:
Replace the ATMEGA328PB with another one from a good production batch.

Guido and Manuel

[1] Paragraph 33.2, Table 33-2, parameter VIH, URL: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 01906A.pdf

[2] Bootloader https://dl2man.de/3a-trusdx-bootloader

EDIT:
All previously suggested workarounds have shown other negative side effects, like random beeping and resetting, so we needed to withdraw those recommandations. It seems, that the programmability issue is just a symptom, indicating a more severe damage of the affected Chip. The only real solution is replacing the affected Microcontroller with a good high Quality ATMega.

But the good News is: Sunny is programming every Rig and Kit sold by her, and if she realizes Problems, she is taking care of it. None of those affected units should be out in the Wild. This Posting is more aimed towards the Group Buy Organizers and home builders.
Luca66

Re: Solution for (tr)uSDX programming via USB Issue

Post by Luca66 »

This could be my case. I avoided the problem by going through the ISP port. I ask you if you have verified that the CAT control, in case of bad ATMEGA, is also inhibited.
on7en

Post by on7en »

HI all

i have a similar problem. boatloader upload seems to be ok because i see my serial nummer.
i down loaded the firmware and followed the instuctions. i see ch340in my ports.

but sofware is not uploading.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>>>: avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -P COM4 -b 115200 -U flash:w:"C:\Users\JM\Documents\Downloads\ON7EN_truSDX_C15DFF4FEE97FFB3EF_Firmware.hex":a
avrdude.exe: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude.exe: opening programmer "arduino" on port "COM4" failed

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

i have a board from the first badge from Adam SN3AK

i see processor is atmell mega328p U-TH 354730 2049M8J

Any suggestions ?

73 jean-marie on7en
on7en

Post by on7en »

SOLVED

i had a problem with my fuse settings

i used FF instead of 0xFF

73 jean-marie
SDC12181 - kopie.JPG
SDC12181 - kopie.JPG (231.97 KiB) Viewed 11585 times
bobjimman

Post by bobjimman »

Built the usdr over the weekend I have been working all day to upload firmware, no luck.
Don't known if the chip is my problem the Avr just count down the number of times it trying to connect.
I have tried a different cable and been over the wiring infinite times.
looking for help!

bobjimman
Leon

Post by Leon »

This has been my case! Al problems I experienced during my setup were caused by that. Many time lost. Now with new chip it alll works. Even mic quality is good. Bad chip was producing all kind of problems I guess
vk4ry

Post by vk4ry »

Richard VK4RY
Firmware uploaded via AVRDUDESS
flash verified
avrdude.exe done. Thank You.

Device does not reboot . Still only shows serial number
vk4ry

Post by vk4ry »

A small group of us at the Sunshine Coast Amateur Radio Club joined the group buy and have built the trusdx.

All the completed units apart from mine have rebooted after loaded the downloaded hex file.

The others all happily showed their call sign and frequency as should be.

My unit seems to accept the hex file and returns the verified message finishing with "avrdude.exe done. Thank you."

but does not reboot. It continues to display only the serial number.

We downloaded and used the beta file but results are the same.

I have done a close visual inspection of the board and the only soldered joints in question seem to be the Atmega 328P already fitted but when it displayed the serial number thought it should be OK.
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

Hi Richard,

Double check you are entering the correct serial when you go to download the firmware. Send us a photo of the serial you are showing on the screen.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Well today I decided to try to add my call sign using the steps in firmware settings. My unit was from Sunny about 3 weeks ago, but I missed an email from her asking for my call sign and it shipped w/o one. I get the 10 tries with no sync and tried the steps again and again. First w a Wnn 7 machine, then a Win 10 laptop. I've tried different cables, but my machine doesn't recognize the radio when usb cable connected. I see someone mentioning a fuse setting. Not sure what that is, since there is no mention of a setting in the firmware directions. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.
on7en

Post by on7en »

Try to upload the firmware with xloader software. Avrdudess gives timingproblems sometime.

I used arduino uno and 115200 speed.

That worked the first time

73 jean marie on7en
madmike

Post by madmike »

Thanks all. I downloaded the AVRDUDESS 2.13 for portable instead of whatever I did earlier. All set now. Yay me! And those that helped. 73
vk4ry

Post by vk4ry »

Bootloader reloaded by ISP Arduino then Firmware and bingo, it rebooted.
DL4EEC

Post by DL4EEC »

I tried to re install the bootloader and firmware because of the terrible SSB audio and splatter.  Everything failed, and the radio is  dark now. I tried to re-install with from the beginning with Arduino studio as well as with Xload. No success. Any Idea or should I paste the box to the waste?
Best regards

Alex
DL4EEC

Post by DL4EEC »

Update: Sometimes you have the Covid and a flue together;) I had a hardware failure at the programming board as well as on two USB cables. Anyway, after I fixed it, I could upload the Bootloader and the new firmware. The first time it doesn't change anything. I did it again and after that the rig has a much better signal in SSB. May you have to try it a couple of times. Another thing was strange. By uploading the bootloader, the software detected a  ATMEGA328PB. After the bootloader upload was successfully, the tools detected an  ATMEGA328P (by uploading the firmware).
Anyway, now it works
Last edited by DL4EEC on 11 Dec 2022, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Ra9oau

Post by Ra9oau »

Dear Manuel, is it possible to get the latest version of the code for usdx open source (.ino) exclusively for personal use?
Ra9oau

Post by Ra9oau »

because my design is different from yours and I would like to have the same beautiful arrangement of characters on the screen
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Ra9oau wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 04:29 Dear Manuel, is it possible to get the latest version of the code for usdx open source (.ino) exclusively for personal use?
uSDX source code is public. The (tr)uSDX code is not. Please respect the licence:
viewtopic.php?t=132
- This is (tr)uSDX Forum, so no uSDX related discussions please. We forked off from uSDX for a reason, and don´t want to mix it here again. For uSDX Discussions go to -> https://groups.io/g/ucx/topics
- Respect the (tr)uSDX license. No Questions, Instruction, Suggestions about how to bypass it.
- Forum Language is ENGLISH. No Exeptions. This is, so everyone in our Team can understand what´s going on.
- Rules may be extended according needs
73 Manuel; DL2MAN
greg81

Post by greg81 »

I haved the Same Problem With programming With ardudess, only Show the serial number and on avrdudess all the fuses are 0x00, but i have the AVR dragon, but the Same Problem, i have reduced the SCK clock from 125khz to 64khz and works nice i can't really avrdudess, probably must Change the Speed to 64 kHz, 125khz Its possible to Mutch, probably the Cap on the Mosi/ Miso Not remember... possible to mutch, With AVR Dragon haved See that the fuses are OK, in avrdudess and arduino Uno haved Not can See the the Fuses settings, i think in avrdudess must Change the Speed of programming time , i have No See any setting for the SCK Speed, probably only with the No GUI avrdude, in CMD Window, and yes the MCU are Not affected from the defective Batch, i Hope i can Help you a little IN3TGN
Ilya_RV3DDK

Post by Ilya_RV3DDK »

Good afternoon. Thanks to Guido and Manuel for the GRAND work. Using the information from your site, I made this transceiver myself. The purpose of making only a hobby is no commerce. PCB I ordered in China using your files. I bought the parts separately. All parts (including size 0603) were soldered by themselves. Since the order for boards is at least 5 pieces. I decided to solder several copies into different ranges and to examine various details. When loading BOOTLOADER, I received firmware download codes In two boards, I had the same code that allows you to download firmware, but in one copy the code was different that does not allow you to download firmware. The difference between these boards in the ATMEGA328 processor is different schedule lines and countries of manufacture. Korea - good code, Taiwan - the birth of a new (tr) uSDX . Can this be Fixed or only a microcontroller replacement? Is it possible to add an encoder selection item to the menu - direct or reverse?

I apologize for English I use a translator.

73! 72! RV3DDK
kg5yhm

Post by kg5yhm »

OK SO I HAVE A PRE BUILT TRUSDX AND WAS ABLE TO HAVE RADIO RECOGNIZED WHEN CONNECTED TO COMPUTER VIA USB AND WAS ABLE TO HAVE MY CALL SIGN DOWNLOADED ONTO MY RADIO. now after downloading latest firmware the radio will not be recognized by the computer. usb ports are working as other devices are recognized. I am not skilled in electronics so tearing apart and tracing physical problems not an option. Is replacing a defective chip the only answer to this problem?
s57l

Post by s57l »

port speed changed to 115k?
SM6MOJ

Post by SM6MOJ »

I was able to program my (tr)uSDX with X-loader. This seemed OK until I tried to change bands to 80m. It stuck at 3.00 MHz. After pressing a few more buttons, the display locked with an error message. When I tried to re-program with AVRDUDESS, I get the error message:

"avrdude.exe: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0x14 != 0x0c
avrdude.exe: verification error; content mismatch"

So I assume that the memory chip has blown. Since the mainboard comes from Aliexpress, and all the chips are in one, I will have to order a bunch of new mainboards from JCLPCB.

By the way - are old versions of the firmware available?
DL7ATR

Post by DL7ATR »

I have problems to flas the uSDX via USB and could not found an answer here.
Current situation :
1. CAT is working. I can connect via FLRIG
2. AVRDUDESS is working. I can read the correct signature of the controller.
3. When I try to flash the uSDX, I get the following output :

######################################################################################

>>>: avrdude
DL7ATR_truSDX_xxxxx_Firmware.hex: 31,828 / 32,768 Bytes (97.13%)
>>>: avrdude -c arduino -P COM11 -b 115200 -p m8
Detected 1e950f = ATmega328P
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>>>: avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -P COM11 -b 115200 -U flash:w:"C:\Users\Hans-Juergen\Downloads\DL7ATR_truSDX_xxxxx_Firmware.hex":a

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)
avrdude.exe: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: reading input file "C:\Users\Hans-Juergen\Downloads\DL7ATR_truSDX_xxxxx_Firmware.hex"
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\Hans-Juergen\Downloads\DL7ATR_truSDX_xxxxx_Firmware.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: writing flash (31828 bytes):

Writing | #avrdude.exe: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail

avrdude.exe: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x1c
avrdude.exe: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync
avrdude.exe: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync

#####################################################################################

I have the feeling the flash erase is not working. Current firmware version ist 2.00h

Any idea ?

73 de DL7ATR
Hans-Juergen
backpackdxr

Post by backpackdxr »

Also having the same error - a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x1c

no joy

backpackdxr