TCXO upgrade

Ohwenzelph

Re: TCXO upgrade

Post by Ohwenzelph »

IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0674.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 306 times
This is the thinnest PCB version that OshPark does: “Flex”. It’s a bit maybe too thin and flexible, this one is mounted at a bit of a tilt. But, it works! They sell them for 80 cents for 3 with free shipping. The 2 oz. Copper/0.8mm thick ones are only 40 cents for 3, also with free shipping. Though, on the plus side, sanding down the edges of the flex ones is super quick and easy. I can get 1 tcxo and 10 caps from Mouser for a total of $7.82 using ‘economy shipping’. (Shipping more than parts!)

I do the initial caps and tcxo mounting to the tiny PCB with solder paste and hot air. Probably better to mount the tcxo side first. Hot air comes from a $15 ‘embossing heat tool’ from HobbyLobby SKU: 2160406.

p.s. some crystals (Y1) seem to be easier to remove than others (my last one much easier than the one before). Extra flux, some low temperature Quik solder alloy, and a cheap second iron, so you can use two irons at once, helps. For clean up, more flux and solder wick are good, along with some 91% isopropanol and generic q-tips from Walmart.