Trouble loading Bootloader/Firmware

NT1K

Trouble loading Bootloader/Firmware

Post by NT1K »

I purchased a Chinese (approved) unit and upon power on (using Arduino programmer through the pins) I got a serial that started with 55313. Went to the site and got the firmware and followed the instructions on this website.

Upon reboot I got nothing but a serial that starts with 70000. If I reboot it a 2nd time I get a different serial number that starts with 76F8B

After reading around this forum I thought I would try reflashing the bootloader. However It won't sucessfully write and it appears there is an issue with the fuses but I can't set them.

I get an error of

Code: Select all

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
             0x00 != 0xff
avrdude.exe: verification error; content mismatch
https://i.imgur.com/SxVoQbV.png

Not sure what's going on or what to do? Is the chip done for?
TU, 73' DE NT1K - JEFF :D
Raydeeoh

Re: Trouble loading Bootloader/Firmware

Post by Raydeeoh »

I'm having exactly the same problem, with two different boards. I think there is a very bad batch of chips and it seems I have wasted my money on this.

I don't think I will waste any more time or money on this little experiment. Very unfortunate indeed.
AVR Error.JPG
AVR Error.JPG (123.19 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

If I remember correctly...
If you already have a serial number then the bootloader was already installed, you don't need to try and reinstall it using the isp connector. Next step is to use the serial number to get firmware made on the web with your call sign in it, download it from the web to your computer and then install the firmware, using avrdude/dudess, from your computer via usb to the radio. Go over the directions very carefully before hand and be sure you have got it right, I don't think there is room for any errors.
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

I did not already have a serial number. I HAD to load the bootloader first BEFORE trying to load the firmware. The bootloader doesn’t load as you can see from the pic.

AVRDUDESS doesn’t find the ATMega328P so it cannot load the bootloader. Even trying a “-f” to ignore the warning message and force the Arduino to load the bootloader hex file doesn’t work.
NT1K

Post by NT1K »

This is my 2nd unit. First unit was from a group buy and I understand about loading the initial bootloader, get the serial number and flash the firmware. Got the first one working no problem.

The one I am trying now is from early on when the first Aliexpress units were available (Yeah, I finally got it put together). It had a serial number upon power on so I skipped loading the bootloader and went stright to attempting to flash it with the firmware.

This is all done using an Arduino UNO that I used without issue on my first unit.

Whenever I tried reading the fuses I get 0x00 for all 3 (L, H and E). It also doesn't allow me to write the fuses. That's where I get the verification error (First mismatch at byte 0x000 00x0 != 0xFF)
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Raydeeoh wrote: 09 Jul 2022, 20:34 (...)
YOu probably don´t have ATMega 328P Chip.....
Please use PB Version of AtMega (in the upper right corner of AVR DUdess). THat´s unfortunaletly the only chip you´ll get right now

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

NT1K wrote: 09 Jul 2022, 22:39
The one I am trying now is from early on when the first Aliexpress units were available (Yeah, I finally got it put together). It had a serial number upon power on so I skipped loading the bootloader and went stright to attempting to flash it with the firmware.

This is all done using an Arduino UNO that I used without issue on my first unit.
(...)
Flash Firmware only via USB. DO NOT USE Arduino UNO for that. Please follow my Firmware Upload Page word by word. It has a meaning after all ;)

73 Manuel, DL2MAN
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

Manuel, thank you for that but if your comment is directed to me, as I said (and posted the pic of ARVDUDESS screenshot), I am trying to load the bootloader NOT the FW so I can get the serial number to D/L the FW. However, the ATMega328P chip (marked clearly on the chip as such) is NOT even recognized.

I even tried a -f (force load) but no joy. I’m guessing the ATMega328P chips I have on two main boards are NFG.
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

Manuel, the chips I have are clearly marked ATMega328P but just for completeness, I tried the 328PB option and I get the same error message on both boards.
NT1K

Post by NT1K »

DL2MAN wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 22:28
NT1K wrote: 09 Jul 2022, 22:39

(...)
Flash Firmware only via USB. DO NOT USE Arduino UNO for that. Please follow my Firmware Upload Page word by word. It has a meaning after all ;)

73 Manuel, DL2MAN
I am trying to re-flash the Bootloader. I tried to follow your bootloader instructions (https://dl2man.de/3a-trusdx-bootloader/) but there discrepancies between what you suggest and the screen shot you have when it comes to using AVRDUDESS.

For example in the text of the website you list "Programmer: Arduino" but the screenshot image shows "Amtel AVR ISP". You also have the buad rate shown as 19200. However, in my situation it won't communicate unless the buad rate is 115200.

When I try flashing the Bootloader, it appears to erase and flash the bootloader but it appears something with setting the fuses isn't working. Please see the following screenshot.

https://i.imgur.com/E1uE3zX.png

I am using the Arduino to load the bootloader.

If I did something wrong previously (which is possible), I am trying to see if I can start over or fix what happened.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

To me it looks like if your Arduino was not programmed "as ISP Programmer" first.
So I assume, you´re uploading that (tr)uSDX Bootloader to the Arduino instead to the (tr)uSDX.
If that´s not the case, maybe try showing a Video of your workflow, so we have a better chance to narrow it down.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
NT1K

Post by NT1K »

So I assume, you´re uploading that (tr)uSDX Bootloader to the Arduino instead to the (tr)uSDX.
I reuploaded the Arduino Sketch to the Uno and repeated your instructions. It seems to be in working order now.

Thanks to you and to all that helped!
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

Still NO JOY trying to upload the Bootloader from my Arduino Uno to both of the two boards I have from the first US Group Buy.

My chip has the following printed on it:
ATMEL
MEGA 328P
U-TH
3574D
2127TU8

I have reloaded the ISP sketch to my genuine Arduino UNO and checked the connections between the Arduino and the (tr)uSDX - all good. AVRDUDESS does NOT "see" the MCU. Simply returns the message:

"avrdude.exe: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

It will try 10 times and if it doesn't get the correct response, it closes down.

Has anyone else had issues with their MCU?

Is this for the junk bin?
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Did you power the (tr)uSDX up ?
Either by feeding the VCC Pin over ISP Header
OR (!!!)
Connecting Main Power Supply (Never do both, or it will smoke)

Other classics are:
- Bad Connection on the ISP Header Pins
- Hidden (reserved) Com Ports Colliding with the one you´re using

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

I powered up (tr)uSDX Via 12v supply ONLY and I checked for continuity from PCB pads on main board to PCB pads on Arduino, all good. I will check for hidden or bad com ports.

Thanks.

Robert
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

To all who provided help, thank you. On the advice of two others (one an expert in MCU programming), I purchased an ISP programmer from Aliexpress. I was able to install the bootloader fine and also the application FW; however, on each power cycle, the screen indicated "Reset Settings" and would get stuck in the Menu mode - the rig would not accept any input from the encoder (other than changing the Menu item) or the MENU and ENTER buttons. It was permanently stuck in the Menu hierarchy.

After thinking a bit more about it, and considering the "Reset Settings" on each power cycle, I thought one of the switches (MENU, ENTER or the Encoder switch) must be bad. Sure enough, the MENU pushbutton was messed up (right out of the parts bag). I installed a new pushbutton which I had on hand and voila! it works as intended now.

I still cannot install ANYTHING on the other board, even using the ISP programmer, but that's for another day.