R Shunt value setting

VK2VD

R Shunt value setting

Post by VK2VD »

Hello Manuel & Guido
Many thanks for this great radio. I have enjoyed very much building and using and modifying to classic version.

My question is in reference to the R Shunt setting. I am aware it is the resistance between R7 & R8, this I can measure. Now how does this figure relate to the value set by R Shunt in the sandwich? I get with the default setting of 19 around 50-60% efficiency.. to get your efficiency level I need to set R Shunt to 22. Both units I have. They are similar. There is no reference to this setting in your video on tuning of RF section. I wonder if you could talk about this.

Regards

Richard
VK2VD
DL2MAN

Re: R Shunt value setting

Post by DL2MAN »

Hi Richard,

RShunt is the resitance of the shunt PCB-trace, for Drain Current measurement on RF Board around U1 (INA219). It turned out, PCB Trace resistance is not as constant as we thougt it would be.

It is not intended to "fake" Efficiency, when there is none, but to have a possibility to "calibrate" your internal measurement, so it matches external measurements.

So what should you do with it ?

try to measure as exactly as possible:
- Input Voltage (Uin)
- Input Current at RX (Irx)
- Input Current at TX (Itx)
- Output Power (Pout)
Calculate Input Power by
Pin = Uin * (Itx - Irx)
Calculate Efficiency by
Eff = Pout / Pin *100%

Compare it with onboard measurement, and adjust RShunt Value in Menu, until displayed Efficiency matches your Calculated externally determined efficiency.

Usually this varys over frequency, so try to find a middle value, that works on all bands. Usually displayed accuracy can be adjusted to below 5% over all bands this way.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
VK2VD

Post by VK2VD »

Hi Manuel
Thank you for the detailed response. That answers my question very well.
Most appreciated
SP9TKW

Post by SP9TKW »

DL2MAN wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 10:22
It is not intended to "fake" Efficiency, when there is none, but to have a possibility to "calibrate" your internal measurement, so it matches external measurements.

So what should you do with it ?

Compare it with onboard measurement, and adjust RShunt Value in Menu, until displayed Efficiency matches your Calculated externally determined efficiency.

Usually this varys over frequency, so try to find a middle value, that works on all bands. Usually displayed accuracy can be adjusted to below 5% over all bands this way.
Hi Manuel,

At what point do you recommend to do above procedure? Before or after LPF is tunned for best performance?

73 Marek
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

It´s the first thing I do before start tuning.
This way I can use the internal measurements and tuning will be faster.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
vk2tty

Post by vk2tty »

DL2MAN wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 10:22 Usually this varys over frequency, so try to find a middle value, that works on all bands. Usually displayed accuracy can be adjusted to below 5% over all bands this way.
Can you spare four bytes of EEPROM to store the R Shunt value separately per band? I'm OK if I can only see it or edit it by first switching to the correct band.

Separately, is there a way to determine a correction to R Shunt from its existing value, displayed power or efficiency, and measured power or efficiency?