Hard-to-find 3.5mm high female 2.54mm 14 pin connector

dc8lz

Hard-to-find 3.5mm high female 2.54mm 14 pin connector

Post by dc8lz »

Hello!

One of the hardest parts to find for me was this not-so-high 14 pin 2.54mm femal header. I ordered on aliexpress and keep my fingers crossed that I get what I ordered...

Manuels informaion about the groub buy are excellent. But if it is out of stock...

https://www.reichelt.de/buchsenleiste-2 ... 66697.html

So I searched for alternatives and did not found parts on mouser and digikey, lcsc. Maybe anyone else found some?

If it is hard to orde in general... could we think of a different way to plug the sandwiches together? Don't hurt me... I know this would/could mean the case would no longer match... but if stock and price says "don't use that"? ;-))

Or just wait some weeks until reichelt has them back and hopefully in a high quantity?

73, Stephan
dc8lz

Re: Hard to find 3.5mm high femal 2.54mm 14 pin connector

Post by dc8lz »

...ok, other thread but same problem with no perfect solution (no big and serious distributor on the hand). Hopefully we got matching parts from aliexpress. ;-)
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

dc8lz wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 16:09 ...ok, other thread but same problem with no perfect solution (no big and serious distributor on the hand). Hopefully we got matching parts from aliexpress. ;-)
One of the AE parts is 3.5mm high, what about those is not a "perfect solution"? I think it is exactly right, but do please correct me if I am wrong.

Robert, WA2T
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

It is the perfect solution from a technical standpoint, but I think Stephan is concerned about the reliability of the source.
You usually try to get stuff from reliable sources, where you get the same thing in a year again....
Hard to tell for those 1 person companies from china, providing on aliexpress.
It´s just so volatile.

But I did not find an (affordable) alternative source as well...

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

DL2MAN wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 23:42 It is the perfect solution from a technical standpoint, but I think Stephan is concerned about the reliability of the source.
You usually try to get stuff from reliable sources, where you get the same thing in a year again....
It´s just so volatile.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Understand. A source that can be relied upon for some period of time. AE is not that!
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

DL2MAN wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 23:42 It is the perfect solution from a technical standpoint, but I think Stephan is concerned about the reliability of the source.
It´s just so volatile.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
After fitting male header pins the black plastic insulator could be removed, this will give a couple of millimeters over to the female side. Those pins will be soldered in and only some 5 or 6 mm long, so they don't need that plastic insulator when soldered in. That might make it easier to find the correct female side insulator length to allow the sandwich to go together in the case.

Actually makes sense (to me anyway) to install the male headers on RF board, just to prevent shorts if the mainboard is laying separated on the workbench with power on. It's the kind of thing this idiot would do!

Ian MM0GYX
dc8lz

Post by dc8lz »

It´s just so volatile.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
...that's it. And tax, duty... delivery time... I know we have a lot of parts from somewhere and we/I am happy to have them. But just for example: Last year I orderer 3 times from UK from the same reseller via ebay and ebay took the duty for me (nice?). All three times the german zoll did not find/accept this and I had to pay the duty twice plus 6€ for the german DHL (grap the double duty from me and pass it to the Zoll costs 6€). Sad! My appeal at the Zoll was declined... not their fault it something fails somewhere (in short).
So I love mouser, digikey... (lcsc, too). The tax, shipping... all that works perfect. I know the price at buying 100% and I can get the parts several times. If only marketplac buying works, ok.. but if we could avoid this I am happy.

73 Stephan
VE3RRD

Post by VE3RRD »

I notice that the BOM does not list a part number for the mating 14 pin male connector. Was there a part number for a part that is 2.5mm tall (2.5mm + 3.5mm = 6mm total)?
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

I just assumed it was the length of the insulated spacer bit on a 2.54 male pin header

Slava Ukraini!
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

va3rr wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 16:54 I just assumed it was the length of the insulated spacer bit on a 2.54 male pin header

I recall seeing in his video that Manuel uses a "standard" 2.54mm male header and installs the short side of the pins and spacer toward the RF board and then cuts off the excess pin length on the top of the main board.

Putting the cart before the horse a bit, I will likely do the opposite, install the long side of the pins through the main board, solder, and then pry off the insulator and cut off the excess pin length. Then, I will probably use the 5mm female headers I have on order on the RF board to mate with this.

Robert, WA2T
dc8lz

Post by dc8lz »

Dear Ian,

could you please so kind and send me a photo?
Have you successfully got the sandwich with a 5mm femal and a male without plastic together?

Best 73!
mm0gyx wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 08:48
It´s just so volatile.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
After fitting male header pins the black plastic insulator could be removed, this will give a couple of millimeters over to the female side. Those pins will be soldered in and only some 5 or 6 mm long, so they don't need that plastic insulator when soldered in. That might make it easier to find the correct female side insulator length to allow the sandwich to go together in the case.

Actually makes sense (to me anyway) to install the male headers on RF board, just to prevent shorts if the mainboard is laying separated on the workbench with power on. It's the kind of thing this idiot would do!

Ian MM0GYX
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

dc8lz wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 09:30 Dear Ian,

could you please so kind and send me a photo?
Have you successfully got the sandwich with a 5mm femal and a male without plastic together?

Best 73!
It´s just so volatile.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN

Ian MM0GYX
Hi Stephan,

I didn't do it yet, it was just a thought experiment, but I did it before.

I guess you know the boards have 6 mm gap if using the 3D case, so it just seems that you could solder the male pin header exactly like Manuel does, then get a sharp knife and prize the plastic insulator off the pins, you need to take time and be careful, moving along it's length a bit at a time, but I did it before and it works. If it was done then you end up with pins (without insulator) that are 5 mm long, then of course you could use 5 mm female header socket and there would be 4 mm engagement by male pins. Does it sound ok? I don't know if 5 mm female header is easy to get, I've been too busy chasing bootloader troubles.

One thing, I think it is a good idea to put the male pins on the non powered side of the sandwich (RF board), just from an engineering point, then there can be no shorting of pins when sandwich is separated and somehow left powered up, by error. It makes it idiot proof.

Ian MM0GYX
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

I just ordered this one from UK, I know it might not be easy to order from elsewhere, brexit!

https://www.toby.co.uk/board-to-board-p ... x14-AG1-G/

I noticed the 23mm speaker is back in stock at Reichelt, but I don't believe they deliver to UK these days.

Ian MM0GYX
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

Ian,

See other post about replacement speakers from Aliexpress - good news.

Also, bad news about my female headers. I placed an order with an Aliexpress vendor but unfortunately, he did not ship it. When I cancelled the order, he then informed me that they were out of stock.

I'm still looking.
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

Faraaz;

There might be some "swiss" machine pin headers that give approximately the same stackup height available on Aliexpress

Slava Ukraini!
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

va3rr wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 01:01 Faraaz;

There might be some "swiss" machine pin headers that give approximately the same stackup height available on Aliexpress
A word of caution about those based upon my experience and those of the UK group buy lead, Ian. We both bought the same round-hole female machine header pins based on my suggestion to Ian from LCSC and the usual male square header pins do not fit.
dc8lz

Re: Hard-to-find 3.5mm high female 2.54mm 14 pin connector

Post by dc8lz »

... What about searching thin, round male headers for that..?

I have another idea with 5mm high femal ones... But l don't know if it is more easy to find them....
va3rr

Post by va3rr »

I received a notice from my Aliexpress seller (299 Store) that my 3.5mm headers shipped this morning :D
I note he has bumped up the shipping cost to VE to $6.86 CAD.

I also see that E-Simpo 3.5mm female headers are also available on Amazon Canada...
Slava Ukraini!
YO8AZQ

Post by YO8AZQ »

Search from Reichelt: BKL 10120974 (instead of ... 972). This is the same connector, but with 26 pins. Cut in half, you get 2 connectors for two devices. Not all 14 pins are used, as the drawing on the back of the wiring suggests. Sure it works, I already have a station in operation with which I have already done some QSOs!
Ady/YO8AZQ
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

Yes, my E-Simpo store ones are reportedly posted today...
Kazu.T

Post by Kazu.T »

Sorry for cross posting but I found more appropriate thread, so I put it in here too:

For Pin header and Pin Socket, I just ordered
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sa ... jz2Q%3D%3D
and
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sa ... Bmpw%3D%3D

But since the 14pin socket is expensive, I also ordered 16pin socket (then cut 2 pins off)
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sa ... ofyw%3D%3D

I know those are expensive ($3.50 + $3.48(16pin)) but I couldn't find any other low-profile pin header/socket pairs...

Kazu. AG6NS
wa2t

Post by wa2t »

Actually makes sense (to me anyway) to install the male headers on RF board, just to prevent shorts if the mainboard is laying separated on the workbench with power on... Ian MM0GYX
Agree whole heartedly Ian, and this is just what I did!

Robert, WA2T