Classical and High Bands Boards now Available for sale !

DL2MAN

Classical and High Bands Boards now Available for sale !

Post by DL2MAN »

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004682173730.html

But I need to add some info on the Classical and High Band Boards:

I was not able to get 80% Efficiency with them ON THE HIGHER BANDS !!! More in the 70-75% region. Probably because of the FDT86256 FET in combination with higher frequencies. However: The FETs are less sensitive to BAD SWR and more Robust, so we approved them anyway.

The 80% Plus goal is still valid and can still be achieved from 80-20m. But I didn´t want to delay the higher Bands release process for several months, just because of 5% Efficiency missing on Bands, we initially never planned to support. So let´s call that good.

I hope you´re fine with that. I will also add a note on my Assembly Page soon, together with the new Schematics.

73 Manuel, DL2MAN
LILO

Re: Classical and High Bands Boards now Available for sale !

Post by LILO »

DL2MAN wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 06:35 was not able to get 80% Efficiency with them ON THE HIGHER BANDS !!! More in the 70-75% region. Probably because of the FDT86256 FET in combination with higher frequencies.
Great news anyways!
Out of curiosity, do they tune each board individually or just use fixed values for toroids and caps got from test build and optimization?
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

They are only available as KIT, not as built PCB´s or Rigs.
Kit includes the PCB with all the right capacitors mounted, but you still need to solder relays, wind the toroids etc.
Anyway: Even in case of Rig, Tuning needs to be done by end customer.
They cannot do that for every rig.

73 Manuel, DL2MAN
LILO

Post by LILO »

It was unclear from their description on AliExpress that 'Classical RF board' or 'Hi bands RF board' are actually kits.

Thanks for clarification.
n8jjo

Post by n8jjo »

Very interested in the "Classic" bands board.

Will Sunny be offering these on the eBay store as well?

73 John N8JJO
AC9YY

Post by AC9YY »

I ordered one of each board and am looking forward to the additional band options.
w8ijn

Post by w8ijn »

Me too. Took me a while to figure out the arcane menu (kept trying to park my delivery in some back-o-th’-holler Alabama ;-) ) but ordered both configurations of the output boards. Next I arrange with a former co-worker to finagle the winding & building. Gonna be fun!
Nils / W8IJN
VE7VIE

Post by VE7VIE »

AliE sent me two low-band units by mistake. I could return one but would like a high-band version anyway. Can I convert one to hi-band? Would there be any saving on work or price? When will you offer am assembled version of high-band?
DO1OKE

Post by DO1OKE »

great news, thanks for sharing!
W3SI

Post by W3SI »

I ordered one of each from Sunny 🌞 I am looking forward to building them, I already have main boards assembled and ready.
Bill -W3SI
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

https://youtu.be/UnrMhsQ9k_4
Not sure how the interboard connectors will like this one in the long term, but I am very tempted.
K6ARK's easy board swap!
vk4kp

Post by vk4kp »

Alas my menu F 2.00e has not got the Band switch option. so I am looking at a firmware upgrade.
Silly me, I can not find my record of the original 18 Hexadecimal Serial Number. Is the any means of retrieving the Number, or do I have to go back and reinstall Boot Loader ?
LILO

Post by LILO »

Upload fw with any random serial and it'll show you yours.
vk4kp

Post by vk4kp »

Thanks LILO ,I made up a serial number ,downloaded , then uploaded using AVRDUDESS, and the original serial number appeared on the screen of the radio . Then I used that original serial 18 digit number and all worked like a dream. All those sleepless nights . :D
Murphyv310

Post by Murphyv310 »

Hi
I tried paralleling two FDT86256 FETs, after adjusting the toroids efficiency went up by 3 to 5% and an extra watt on the highest two bands on my classic build.
Could someone else try this and confirm or otherwise please.
Regards, Trevor. MM0KJJ
Ohwenzelph

Post by Ohwenzelph »

Could you please show how you "paralleled" them?
Murphyv310

Post by Murphyv310 »

Ohwenzelph wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 18:40 Could you please show how you "paralleled" them?
I just sat the extra FET on top of the original and used very short jumpers soldered to each lead. There is still clearance between the added one and the control board.
I'd be interested in your findings.
Regards, Trevor. MM0KJJ
AC9YY

Post by AC9YY »

AC9YY wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 13:58 I ordered one of each board and am looking forward to the additional band options.
Still waiting on the Classical board, must be because they are backordered.
w8ijn

Post by w8ijn »

The former co-worker helping me get the latest high band board coils wound — and me as well — is stalled by figuring how to wind the secondary of T2 in the SWR circuit.

Anyone have a picture of that coil showing the correct winding sense? Don’t want to take a chance getting it wring & messing up the board.

Nils / W8IJN
Nils / W8IJN
DH2LAB

Post by DH2LAB »

w8ijn wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 21:48

Anyone have a picture of that coil showing the correct winding sense? Don’t want to take a chance getting it wring & messing up the board.

viewtopic.php?t=395

You can find a photo in this thread.
73 de Matt, DH2LAB
w8ijn

Post by w8ijn »

Danke! That’s what we were thinking but we were not sure. This foto helps!
Stay well & sane! Sanity’s about all we have left ;-)

Nils / W8IJN
Nils / W8IJN
bigtruite

Post by bigtruite »

When will the classic Boards will be on stock again?
elTrauko

Post by elTrauko »

I was also interested, I consulted UpTechStore and they answered me: "It depends on Manuel and Guido testing the board".
@DL2MAN Manuel, is there any news about it? How is that review going?
Thank you
César CA7OKD
db9pz

Post by db9pz »

DL2MAN wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 06:35 https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004682173730.html

But I need to add some info on the Classical and High Band Boards:

I was not able to get 80% Efficiency with them ON THE HIGHER BANDS !!! More in the 70-75% region. Probably because of the FDT86256 FET in combination with higher frequencies. However: The FETs are less sensitive to BAD SWR and more Robust, so we approved them anyway.

The 80% Plus goal is still valid and can still be achieved from 80-20m. But I didn´t want to delay the higher Bands release process for several months, just because of 5% Efficiency missing on Bands, we initially never planned to support. So let´s call that good.

I hope you´re fine with that. I will also add a note on my Assembly Page soon, together with the new Schematics.

73 Manuel, DL2MAN

Dear Manuel,
i bought a 'High-Band'- board, by Alli-Express, and this is what Sunny sells. It came into time, with all components, so no problem therere, ... !

But, - it is mounted with a SMD-FET on the board. So, are the capacitors also soldered on this board, are 'only good' for the SMD-part's described in your plans? My original (TR)_U_SDX is bought by Javier in Spain, an this runs 100% perfect with three BS170!

So, I have to have different 'spare-pasts' for the two boards? BS170 for the 'Xavier' Low-Band rf-board, and the SMD-type for the 'Sunny'- High-Band rf-boards?

Are there so much differences between, theese 2 boards? Did the condensors not match?

Deutsch: (kann ich besser)
Manuel, hab bei Ali-Express das von Sunny vorgesehene Bord gekauft, alles OK soweit!

Aber, auf dem "High-Board" ist dieser eine SMD-FET verbaut. Sind die vorgelöteten Kondesatoren auf dem "HIGH-Board", nur für dieser SMD-Transistor geeignet?

Ich hab den 'Original-Bausatz' bei Javier in Spanien gekauft, der zu 100% in Ordnung ist! Keinerlei Probleme damit! Hoher Wirkungsgrad, gute Leistung. Einwandfrei!

Dieser wurde aber mit 3 mal BS170 ausgeliefert! Muß ich jetzt 2 verschiedene Transistor-Typen 'vorhalten', um eine Endstufen-Reparatur aus zu führen?
Die BS170 kosten bei Pollin 0,25€ das Stück!

Wo gibt es den SMD-Typ? Habe KEIN Konto bei Reichelt, aber Conrad und Pollin.

Keinerlei Chance, das es auch mit den 3 BS170 geht? - Als Ersatz-Typen? - Habe davon noch 20Stück hier 'rumliegen', ... !

73/72 de Markus ; db9pz

Wir haben schon über You-Tube kurz miteinander gesprochen, ... !
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

elTrauko wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 16:04 I was also interested, I consulted UpTechStore and they answered me: "It depends on Manuel and Guido testing the board".
@DL2MAN Manuel, is there any news about it? How is that review going?
Thank you
César CA7OKD
I´m sorry, I am very busy with work and other hobbies at this time of the year. It´s hard to make room for the assembly of 2 boards at the moment. I have no clue, when this will happen anytime soon....
db9pz wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 19:00 (...)
Are there so much differences between, theese 2 boards? Did the condensors not match?
(...)

73/72 de Markus ; db9pz
Hello Markus,

just compare the Schematics. Both have completely different capacitors and coils. Only the basic board is the same. But Filter Values differ completely.
A different type of FET was chosen, because BS170´s would provide even worse efficiency on higher Bands. And no, you can´t simply exchange the FDT86256 for 3x BS170, as the FET is part of the Class E Filter. Change the FET and you´ve detuned your Filter. All Capacitor and Inductor Values have to be matched for a certain FET.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN