New powered speaker version (tr)uSDX

Raydeeoh

New powered speaker version (tr)uSDX

Post by Raydeeoh »

I wanted a little better audio without having to use an external plug-in powered speaker. I found a nice small powered speaker that I modified to fit into my modified case (based on the original design).

It's turned on/off by a new pushbutton switch located where the old speaker used to be and it is wired to a micro USB connector on the lower cover for charging (I don't use the original micro USB connector for anything; however, it's still there inside if I need to use it to reprogram application FW). I can still use phone jack either for a powered speaker or headphones.

It sounds pretty good IMO: [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RFQODP ... sp=sharing]

Thank you again to DL2MAN and PE1NNZ for this fun little rig.
Robert VE7ZN
Attachments
IMG_7541Cropped.jpg
IMG_7541Cropped.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (111.35 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
N1CJ

Re: New powered speaker version (tr)uSDX

Post by N1CJ »

Nice work. The case looks good, and the audio sounds good on the video. What speaker did you use, and do you plan on publishing the case specs?

I also want to add a powered speaker to the (tr)uSDX, but I'm taking a different route. I'm planning on using one of those arduino audio amplifiers (PAM8302) and an oval 1.5w 8ohm speaker. If I'm right, both of these should be able to fit stacked on top of each other in the existing space for the internal speaker. The only tricky bit I see would be shutting down the amplifier when something is plugged into the speaker jack. well, that and getting someone to design something to hold these pieces in place. We'll see if I ever manage to get around to that.
73 - N1CJ
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

I tried several different small speakers including two from Visaton but none sounded very good to me. I ended up using this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HB18IZ4?ps ... ct_details

I did this for myself and another ham friend. The case design depends entirely on what components one plans to use and I’ve no desire to be chastised for licensing issues again so I have no plans to publish anything. I posted this only in case others are thinking about doing something similar. An inspiration, if you like…

Robert VE7ZN

PS. My case DOES acknowledge the (tr)uSDX creators, to whom I again offer my gratitude.
N1CJ

Post by N1CJ »

Thanks for the info. I have looked at that speaker as well. Curious if I could disassemble it and just use the amp board and speaker from it, but I'm not positive of the dimensions of the actual speaker part of it.

Also, disappointing to know this case won't be published due to potential copyright concerns, but completely understandable.

Take care, 73.
CJ - KN6KFR
73 - N1CJ
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

Here are the Fusion 360 archive files for the Powered Speaker case, for those who've been asking.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19fHbGY ... sp=sharing

Robert VE7ZN
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Raydeeoh wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 05:04 I’ve no desire to be chastised for licensing issues again so I have no plans to publish anything.

Robert VE7ZN

PS. My case DOES acknowledge the (tr)uSDX creators, to whom I again offer my gratitude.
Hi Robert,

Did we ever cross swords ? With housing Design, the rules are less strict. Housing is under CC-BY-SA license, so you can modify and republish. The only requirements are: Name the source (check) and share alike (check). So no Problems here. We did this, because we figured, that not everyone would like our 3D printed housing, and someone might want to do something from metal, or as in your case add active speaker.
The only true red line is: If you change Hardware (PCB/Circuit/Components) or Software of (tr)uSDX and re-publish it. This would be immediately striked. What you do in your private home to your personal (tr)uSDX is up to you, but re-publication would be crossing the red line in this case. Just some clearification, because it seems people are afraid to hurt the license all the time. And if in doubt: Send me a mail, and I´ll reply.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

Manuel, no crossed swords; I just don’t want any. However, after several folks contacted me for the case design files, I decided to link my Fusion 360 files for the case so if they want to use it they can. The case does acknowledge both yours and Guido’s terrific work, just not on the faceplate, which as I mentioned before, I like to keep uncluttered.

I did not publish the new faceplate as anyone who may want to do this will have their own components and desire a different layout.

Thank you again for a fun little radio.

Robert VE7ZN
KJ4KEM

Post by KJ4KEM »

Hi Robert,
I like your case design and plan on printing it myself.
Any chance you might also publish the top plate? I know you said we can do our own, depending on what type of layout we want, however I am really not good at CAD at all.

Thanks,
James, KJ4KEM
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

James,
The faceplate is not 3d printed; it is a PCB I designed. Contact me off list. My email is on qrz.com.

Robert VE7ZN
it9hre

Post by it9hre »

Hi Robert,
a question for you: is it possible to remove the 3.7 battery from the mini speaker and
then power up the mini speaker directly from (tr)USDX micro USB port? Or, alternatively, from +5V coming from (tr)USDX?
Thanks,
Salvo IT9HRE
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

It is probably possible, but I didn't. I left the battery in place and jumpered the micro USB port to one I mounted on my new case. That way I can charge it as needed.

However, I have designed another new case and faceplate. The case is basically the same except I've added a 5mm x 2.5mm barrel jack just below the PA control port and mounting points for the latching FET switch which controls 12VDC to the radio. I've also designed a new faceplate which now includes a "power on" momentary contact switch (to match the existing (tr)uSDX pushbuttons) which controls the latching FET switch, and a 3.0mm LED "ON" indictor.

The new faceplate has some circuitry on the underside which provides connections for:
1) Power switch which controls a small FET latching board I made (photo 2 below)
2) LED indictor for "power on condition" activated by the FET latching board
3) (tr)uSDX audio output (attenuated a bit) jumpered to the audio input of the built-in amplified speaker
4) 12VDC supply lines from the FET latching switch to power the radio

My new case includes a 5mm x 2.5mm DC barrel jack. I will provide 12VDC to the radio through this jack. I will also power the amplified speaker via the 5V rail.
IMG_7821.jpg
IMG_7821.jpg (95.79 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
IMG_7820.jpg
IMG_7820.jpg (90.34 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
IMG_7819.jpg
IMG_7819.jpg (53.46 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
it9hre

Post by it9hre »

Hi Robert,
that sounds as a very interesting solution!
Could you also post the FET latching board circuit?
Regards,
Salvo IT9HRE
Raydeeoh

Post by Raydeeoh »

Sure, see attached. If more current-handling is needed, you’d want to add a heat sink to the FET
C2723AE4-0BA4-4ED3-B0B5-28A3F63097C2.jpeg
C2723AE4-0BA4-4ED3-B0B5-28A3F63097C2.jpeg (245.98 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
it9hre

Post by it9hre »

Thank you very much!
IT9HRE