Good results from using a (tr)uSDX.

HB9HJF

Good results from using a (tr)uSDX.

Post by HB9HJF »

Yesterday I went for a bit of /p playing with radio, and I had my first proper QRP contact.

I had wanted to test, configure, and tune a few antennas that I had built up over the past few months in the apartment, as well as try to fune tune an alternative portable setup. Normally I would use my FT-891 with the LDG auto-tuner and an Aerial-51 807HD OCFHW antenna - and that setup works very well. The day was mostly to get the antennas set, and maybe then try to make a contact or two.

I walked to the nearest grassy public space that's mabe 1500m from the apartment. There are a few soccer pitches and a few other ameneties, with a lot of open space and some decent old trees. The walk was done with a backpack and carry bag full of my radio toys.

I had wanted to test out some EFHW builds, and I realised I had a bit more building and troubleshooting more to do with those before they're field-worthy. My final testing antenna of the day was a 100W-capable trapped 1/4-wave dipole for 20/15/10 that I tape to a 6m fiberglass Decathlon fishing pole. I did get the final tune on that, and I was trying my RS-918 on it but I couldn't be heard. I do suspect I have issues with that particular radio but fixing that is for another day. Then I put the QCXmini-20 on and sent a few test messages with the onboard keyer - I don't have much capability with Morse yet but it's nice to test this little kit out, and it works particularly well.

I had also brought the high-band build of the (tr)uSDX with me, and for my curiosity I put that on and tuned around on 20m. I could hear LZ1GU quite clearly on the headphones. After listening to a few overs he had with various others, I answered his CQ.

I got a 5-8 report, and I could hear him laughing when I said I had 3 watts of output only.

There's something absolutely immensely satisfying about making contacts on a transceiver that you put together yourself, on an antenna that was designed and self-built, making 1300km distance with 3 watts SSB, while portable in parkland on a lovely sunny day.

Thanks to Manuel for the hardware, and thanks to Guido for very servicable software. I'm definitely looking forwards to more portable work with these transceivers over the next while, now that I have found a local location where I can work that's not the apartment balcony.
-- Cathal Ferris.
Paddler, pedaller, stargazer, nerd.
Wiggler of electrons both in silicon and in the ether.
HB9TBI

Re: Good results from using a (tr)uSDX.

Post by HB9TBI »

Hello Cathal,
Had also very good results with (tr)uSDX and diy EFHW. Details on my QRZ page:

with 3 Watts around the world from Spain to Down Under

I was in Spain for holydays and as usual I had my EFHW antenna (see 6.) and the (tr) uSDX from DL2MAN (see 5.) with me. I span the EFHW antenna almost vertical to a near tree, connected the antenna and a 3 cell LiPo battery to the SDR transceiver. The Power was with me ;-) 20m Band opened several times to Australia, Newzealand and in the mornings to USA. I tried and won: I could perfectly speak to OMs there in SSB and the 3 Watts from the little transceiver. It was a great experience for me and also for the collegues on the other side of the world, when I told them my working conditions! So no energy crisis, DX ist also possible without powerfull QRO equipment.

HB9HJF

Post by HB9HJF »

^ I like this one.

Wednesday, I took the Low-Band config out portable, attached to an Aerial-51 807HD hanging about 8m above the ground.

I had tried to respond to a QSO from a guy in Bavaria with my 817 but he reported poor modulation, so I changed over to the truSDX and was able to make the QSO.

Though the distance was only ~200km, still a 5-7 report but a loss of sound in the 2kHz+ range, fine on the lows and mids and just missing the highs.

That's the second "first QSO" in a fortnight on a radio I've self-built. Nicely happy.
-- Cathal Ferris.
Paddler, pedaller, stargazer, nerd.
Wiggler of electrons both in silicon and in the ether.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Now if that is not equal to knighthood, I don´t know what is ;)
YOu were able to finish a QSO with (tr)uSDX; that could not be finished with FT817 ?

I like the sound of that ;)

73 Manuel; DL2MAN

P.S: See you on bands....