OLED troubleshooting advice

gatorjj

OLED troubleshooting advice

Post by gatorjj »

Need some guidance on the OLED. I just built a classic band (tr)usdx from Sunny and so far everything seems okay except the display did not work. I can hear signals, things seem to switch fine...just can't see what's happening.

I ordered a 2-pack of replacements off Amazon, and put wire connectors to the board to make sure it worked before I attached it to the board this time. The first display in the pack I initially smoked (the display that came with the kit had the pins mis-labed so I reversed VCC and ground). Once I quickly figured that out (literal smoke from the display will do that) and put it right, that display actually worked fine for a minute before dying for good.

The second display in the pack causes the (tr)usdx not to boot (I get no relay click and can't hear anything, and the VCC voltage is 0 instead of 4.77V). And of course no display ;)

I can buy another pack of replacements, perhaps I just got unlucky but is there anything else I might check that would cause it to hang up when the display is connected?

Thanks,
J.J. KF4VE
dl6sez

Re: OLED troubleshooting advice

Post by dl6sez »

Hello OM,

you probably killed now voltage regulator and partly Atmega328....
So check and double check connections if you replace something in an electronic circuit.
Crossing fingers you are lucky and still have a chance to repair it easy!
I think you maybe have learnt your lessons with this man made error ;)

All same size OLED should normally work when the connections are checked and corrected if necessary, because they use the same standard OLED controller.
If it than doesn't work you killed more, as mentioned above.

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany
gatorjj

Post by gatorjj »

Thanks Chris, It still boots and works without the display attached (I can hear lots of signals, bands and modes change, etc. etc.) and has 4.77v on the VCC pin in that case so hopefully I'll get lucky. If not I may just switch the RF board out on my lo band (tr)usdx and move on. I guess I will find out tomorrow when the new OLED arrives :D

I like to call these man-made errors the "stupid tax" and yes I've paid plenty of that with this little radio...and yet I'm still enjoying the process (though not so much the smoke :oops: )

J.J. KF4VE
VA3HF

Post by VA3HF »

I also just received the Classic kit from them and my display didn't work either.

I found the fault and told them today. The display provided is configured incorrectly in that pin 1 (square pad) needs to be ground and pin 2 is VCC. If you move the jumper solder pads to J2 and J3, it should work but the display would have been damaged if turned on already as mine has.

I had a spare display and my rig still works.

The silkscreen labels show pin 1 as VCC and pin 2 as GND and the jumper solder pads of J1 and J4 are for that labeling....... They procured the wrong display configuration.

I told them they need to tell everyone that they supplied these kits with that display needs to have the jumpers changed before installing it.
VA3HF

Post by VA3HF »

If you look at the half sheet assembly instructions supplied, you'll notice the picture of the back of the display has J2 and J3 solder pad jumpers on it. The properly silkscreen labeled display for that would have GND on pin 1 and VCC on pin 2.

The proper display to match the wiring on the main board needs this version of display:

https://www.amazon.ca/EastVita-0-96inch ... r=8-2&th=1