Efficiency Dropping Uniformly on all bands

KV1E

Efficiency Dropping Uniformly on all bands

Post by KV1E »

I've been using my newly built (t)ruSDX kit for about 3 weeks and noticed recently the power out and efficiency has reduced on all bands. It's certainly not drifting downwards by a lot but enough to make me question what may be going on. The power out on every band is 5.3W to almost 6W. After my initial RF tuning (according to Manuel's video) the power out was anywhere to .3W to .5W higher than now, with a displayed efficiency of 99.9% on every band. After a few weeks the displayed efficiency seems to have dropped to 83% to 84% on every band. The uniform reduction across bands is what I'm wondering about. Anyone with ideas of what could be going on?

Could it be an indication one or more of the BS170s are slowly dying? If what I'm seeing is not abnormal then I apologize for this post.
Ohwenzelph

Re: Efficiency Dropping Uniformly on all bands

Post by Ohwenzelph »

If the readings are accurate then I would not complain, maybe reduce the supply voltage a little, and just enjoy using it. If it stays where it is now, and if the numbers are correct, then consider it fully function and performing perfectly. If you have a way to accurately measure the current consumption before and during transmission and have a way to externally accurately measure the transmitted power, then you can verify the power out and calculate the actual efficiency. The small difference in power out will likely be not noticed at the other end and a lower supply voltage with not over 5 watts out will be safer for the long life of your finals.
g7jur

Post by g7jur »

Check the solder joints around the SWR bridge
Philip G7JUR
KV1E

Post by KV1E »

Thanks guys.