WARNING ! Don´t buy Nanorig (tr)uSDX !!!

DL2MAN

WARNING ! Don´t buy Nanorig (tr)uSDX !!!

Post by DL2MAN »

SHARE THIS INFORMATION PLEASE: Over night marketplaces were flooded with black (tr)uSDXs labelled with "NanoRig". They have changed the PCB Design (without permission), which is a clear Violation of CC-BY ND License. Also the Registrated Trademark sign suggests, that they are license holders. They are not. (tr)uSDX Design is owned by Guido (PE1NNZ) and me (DL2MAN). Those rigs will be banned from Firmware updates, so don´t buy that. Any attempts to contact them were without success. Don´t buy NanoRig Devices, or you´ll be on your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebwIZg0JFo
HB9HJF

Re: WARNING ! Don´t buy Nanorig (tr)uSDX !!!

Post by HB9HJF »

I'm reporting all the instances on Ebay I see as counterfeit unlicensed copies.
-- Cathal Ferris.
Paddler, pedaller, stargazer, nerd.
Wiggler of electrons both in silicon and in the ether.
Max

Post by Max »

I reported offers on ebay. aliexpress is even more difficult I guess
73 de Max
Luca66

Post by Luca66 »

I explicitly submitted information that it was violating a license and the seller ebay removed the ad. Of course this kind of solution can't work for long, clone sellers are springing up like mushrooms.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Update on how they try to Bypass it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgrJQ82GaNc

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Patrick52

Post by Patrick52 »

I bought from qrphamlabs run by ea3gcy. It doesn’t have a serial number so am I right that it’s not approved ? I notice it’s not on your approved list.
If it’s not approved then I apologise. I’d like to buy an approved one.
Thanks
Patrick
Luca66

Post by Luca66 »

Patrick52 wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 16:51 I bought from qrphamlabs run by ea3gcy. It doesn’t have a serial number so am I right that it’s not approved ? I notice it’s not on your approved list.
If it’s not approved then I apologise. I’d like to buy an approved one.
Thanks
Patrick
I can try to answer you, Manuel can correct me if I say I write something wrong. Manuel shared his project with the community and therefore all the files needed to build the project exactly as he conceived it are available to anyone.
So the ways to build a rtx are two. First you commission all the components on your own. Second you can rely on Stores that carry out the work exactly as Manuel has decided it must be done.
You chose exactly the second option leaning on the Spanish site, you bought the product exactly as Manuel conceived it, at least I think so.
If the Spanish site has not been approved by Manuel, I suppose, it is because the Spanish seller has decided not to have his product approved by Manuel, but it does not mean that it is not exactly as Manuel conceived. You ask this at Spanish seller.

Resellers appearing on eBay instead have modified Manuel's original project and therefore are different from what he established.

I hope I was clear and correct.
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Luca is 100% correct. I know Javier, and while he chose to not go thorugh approval process, he never gave us any reason to prevent him from doing what he´s doing. Javier is acting perfectly within CC-BY ND License, and will not be bothered by us. Thanks Javier, for providing another (tr)uSDX Option ! By the way: For future lots, please contact us, so you will have access to creating Serial Numbers new rigs.

Update on the Nanorig Issue... I was in contact with the "responsible guy" for this whole mess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqnsVEpYrkc

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Patrick52

Post by Patrick52 »

Glad to hear I’ve not bought from a bad place.
However I have a weird problem.
When I plug in the USB cable to a PC or a 12v battery the device ( tr(u)SDX)won’t power up. If I leave it for a few hours it does , still plugged in. Sometimes then it will power up if I power cycle. Sometimes it won’t. I’ve taken it apart and checked the soldering with a microscope, no duff joints in the smd devices, I’ve ‘scoped the I2C busses and they make sense. The ‘scope can decode the activity ok.
Voltages seem to be ok.
Re-assemble and it’s fine. Power cycle…. Fine. 12v battery …… fine. Leave for a while , power on , fine

Leave over night. Power on, nothing. Connect to a PC , nothing. Leave for a couple of hours, it’s working. Connect to the battery, nothing. Connect to PC, nothing. Connect to wall charging point , nothing.

I wonder if there is a delay if the I2C commands don’t see an ack straight away ?

Any pointers/advice gratefully received.
Regards
Patrick
Patrick52

Post by Patrick52 »

Update :
Just spent a great half hour with the tr(u)SDX in our garden connected to an inverted V aerial which nanoVNA gives dip at 7.078 MHz with SWT of 1.02

Listened to several QSOs and watched decodes of CW. plenty of signal.

Tried to call but not sure it's working yet. Need to check that transmission with another rx.

Best regards
Patrick
Luca66

Post by Luca66 »

Patrick please you should ask your question in the troubleshooting section. Or alternatively if some moderator does it for you. In the right section you will be able to get more help.
73 Luca
Patrick52

Post by Patrick52 »

ok... thanks
KA1FT

Post by KA1FT »

I'd also like to add that some sellers may not include up to date schematics that one would use for coil winding. In my case the seller was uellyqh. He included an out of date schematic that had the wrong winding info for the 20m and 15m coils on a classic band RF board. I used these wrong values and could get no more than 2w out on these bands. Other than that, after I corrected the error using info from an up to date schematic, the board performs as expected. So beware and always check that instructions you get with these kits are up to date!
R1BNG

Post by R1BNG »

Hi,
It looks like another fake (tr)uSDX has appeared, named QUI-uSDX. It's obviously based on (tr)uSDX design.
73 R1BNG