Choice for VFO Crystal frequency

k5vox

Choice for VFO Crystal frequency

Post by k5vox »

Hi all, this is my first post here. My name is Anton. This rig ia amazing! You guys are doing incredible work!
Thank you for making this possible for all of us.
I built the (tr)uSDX with my parts. Just oredred the PCBs from JLCPCB. It works great, but I had only 25MHz Crystal for the vfo. Is there a way to include the vfo Crystal frequency when generating the FW file?
DL2MAN

Re: Choice for VFO Crystal frequency

Post by DL2MAN »

Hello Anton,

This rig (tr)uSDX was created, to have a standard set of hardware, so we do not need to maintain different options in software, and can concentrate on new features instead.
The Open Source uSDX Software will give you the Option. uSDX Software can be configured to work with 25MHz Crystal, but there will be some present and fututre features missing. If you want the full feature set, I´d suggest to get a 27MHz crystal.

73 Manuel, DL2MAN
k5vox

Post by k5vox »

Thank you Manuel.
DL2ARL

Post by DL2ARL »

Hi!
had the same question like Anton above. It pays to read the postings carefully before asking, because most probably the question has been asked before... :oops:
I was keen to use a 25MHz TCXO bought from qrpLabs-Hans. I am aware that there are also 27MHz TCXOs out there to buy, but I am afraid I do not know which are suited and which not.
Some of the TCXOs found on the market are rather "jumpy", because they seem to be adjusting the frequency in discrete steps rather than continuously. Prices are low and I could risk a pence, two buying blind, but if the prices of the devices are low, the postage-and-shipment fees are insane.
The 25MHz TCXO from qrpLabs-Hans would have been great, because it has been tested and I would have been glad to place an order again to this friendly shop. But 25MHz being very near to one of my favorite bands (12m) it might not have been the greatest choice indeed.

So: if anybody knows a 27MHz TCXO to be working for this purpose, I would be glad to get the info and maybe even the source where I can buy it from. Do you have a spare? Would be glad to buy it from you!

Thanks and 73 de DL2ARL
tu ya no me buscas io ya no te quierro
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

(tr)uSDX is not prepared for TCXO. It uses simple crystals in 4-Pin 3225 Package.
Please just have a look at the published BOM´s. There´s even LCSC Part/Order-Numbers included.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
KE0ATA

Post by KE0ATA »

Can you suggest a replacement for Y1 / NX3225GA-27MHZ-EXS00A-CG06607 ? They are not in-stock at jlcpcb and I can't find an exact replacement, I'm not sure what the ramifications would be for slightly different specs.