Buzzing sound is only sound produced?

KE8NWH

Re: Buzzing sound is only sound produced?

Post by KE8NWH »

In case the email fails again, I will attach the email here, as well as upload the attachment and link it. That way at least you can move forward while we figure out why the email is not working.

Thanks!

BEGIN EMAIL:
Hello Manuel! Thanks for looking into this for me.
I am sad that there is a problem, but glad at least that it's not a simple problem. Glad it's not something I just missed and should've seen.

I have only tested 5 of the 50 rigs thus far, because if the problem was something I was causing somehow, I didn't want to ruin 50 rigs by pressing forwards.
But all 5 out of 5 tested rigs have this problem. I can test more if you'd like.

I have attached my selected parts list as requested.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do!

-Tom
END EMAIL.

Attachment: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a28h0o83 ... 77hdxmvu7r
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

KE8NWH wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 02:42 I have attached my selected parts list as requested.
OK Tom, I´ve received everything and I have good news:
Dream-Team "PE1NNZ and DL2MAN" did it again...... We found the Problem.

It was not your fault and not easy to find.

So I went through your Parts List and the only thing, that really made me suspecious, was the 27MHz "Crystal", that had mentioned 3,3V in the Description.
https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Osc ... 60453.html
This is of course Nonsense, as a crystal is a passive component, and should not have a supply voltage.
Looking at the Datasheet showed however: Crystal with the right specifications ->
https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/1810171 ... 160453.pdf

Comparing the look and labelling of the soldered Part with Datasheet however showed a deviation:
Soll.JPG
Soll.JPG (15.34 KiB) Viewed 914 times
TCXO.JPG
TCXO.JPG (207.05 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Probing with oscilloscope also showed no sign of oscillation.

The labelling of the supplied part indicates, that it´s a TCXO not a crystal:
https://www.hele.com.tw/products.php

So I´ve unsoldered it:
unsolder.JPG
unsolder.JPG (83.11 KiB) Viewed 914 times
IST.JPG
IST.JPG (20.4 KiB) Viewed 914 times
And soldered a 27MHz crystal I had on Hand to Test:
27mhz.JPG
27mhz.JPG (35.03 KiB) Viewed 914 times
And Bingo ! Problem is gone.

So, in conclusion:
The Part supplied by JLC-PCB should be a crystal, and is in reality a non pin-compatible TCXO.
The Source (LCSC) has the wrong Datasheet assigned, and that´s how it happened.
The solution is: Replace the crystals, which requires hot air soldering equipment.

You should at least open a quality claim at JLC-PCB, because it was their fault. I would try to work with them to find a solution.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
KE8NWH

Post by KE8NWH »

Thank you very much! Oh it's such a relief to have an answer. So many boards that were a big question mark haha.

I've worked with hot air before, I believe I should be able to buy a reel of the proper crystal and replace them. Tedious, but better than wasting all that money. I will wait to see what JLCPCB says first, I'll try to work with them, though I have a feeling they won't want to be very helpful. But who knows.

Feel free to use this debacle as an example in one of your videos, I know I'D be entertained watching it haha.

Thanks for all your hard work Manuel, and you too Guido! Excellent stuff!

I'll update this post when I've made some progress. Thanks everyone!

-Tom
KE8NWH
KE8NWH

Post by KE8NWH »

JLCPCB is claiming that the datasheet is in fact accurate, and that it's not their fault. I don't know enough to argue my case any better than I have, so I'm probably stuck paying for my own replacement parts.

Lesson learned I suppose.

By the way, lcsc lists the recommended C156249 as discontinued. So this might become an issue for more people as time goes on?
https://www.lcsc.com/mobile/product-det ... 56249.html

Any recommendations for a suitable replacement? Might need to update the group buy files. But I wouldn't mind hearing it here first 😁

Thanks again,
Tom
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

That is BS !
Please send me the mail traffic and I´ll try to argument/reason with them in your name.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
KE8NWH

Post by KE8NWH »

DL2MAN wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 23:31 That is BS !
Please send me the mail traffic and I´ll try to argument/reason with them in your name.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Thanks Manuel, I'm not sure how much you can do for me though. I have emailed you the chat logs, I believe that is what you were asking for?

I appreciate your continued efforts!

-Tom