High SWR and High PWR levels reported on display

NI6V

High SWR and High PWR levels reported on display

Post by NI6V »

Hello,

Just built my first tr usdx and the building experience has been wonderful so far. During the build I referenced the video on the DL2MAN website and was sure to follow the steps as closely as possible.

My setup is this, the tr usdx is connected via USB to my computer, and the SMA connection directly to a dummy load. When I key up using the built in key. Mode CW. I see the radio oscilates quickly between transmit and receive. Then it settles on transmit and stays steady. The output power is listed at 12.85W and the SWR is 9.99. Obviously I stopped transmitting quickly. So, now I am looking for advice. this is a LO bands board.

I checked the continuity on the output path to make sure I had connection from the finals to the center pin of the SMA connector. I also flashed the board with the latest firmware. Any ideas? Also new instructions by default are for the T2 mod 3:21.

Update:

Checked several bands, sometimes the wattage drops to 0.00W which is more reasonable off of the USB connector. Tested this through a SWR meter with forward power indicator. USB puts out about .5 watts. This seems reasonable, but still not the 1 watt specified. Could be tuning and coil adjustments.

Found a thread with similar problems on the "Rxxxx" units so I have been following those troubleshooting tips. Next step is to check that all the coils have good connection to the board. Then I will do the standard checks. Hopefully with enough updates this thread can be a sticky for other new users.
dl6sez

Re: High SWR and High PWR levels reported on display

Post by dl6sez »

Hello OM,

this will not become a new sticky thread :)
Your problem is simply related to the not good de-enameled wire on T1, T2 toroids (for swr and power) and if you had problems there it is nearly 100% sure to find also LPF toroids with this problem.
Also think about L15 toroid, there must also be a good non resistive solder joint too...

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany
NI6V

Post by NI6V »

@dl6sez. Funny you mentioned the problem of the enamel on the wire. I am in the process of documenting the build and I was sure to sort that out. I did find the problem and it wasn't the enamel on the wire but it sounds from the tone of your response that you aren't interested in me sharing it. Such a shame as it is a fairly easy mistake to make.

Also considering there is a lack of full documentation I would expect this group would be more open to someone interested in documenting the build. As you likely get a lot of people in here with the "I soldered all the bits, now what?" kind of questions. But suit yourself you get to answer or ignore all those people. Burning up your time in the best case or driving people away from the project in the worst case.

Interesting part is you would have avoided this kind of response and I would have continued documenting this had you simply ignored this thread. Good on you for your contribution.
dl6sez

Post by dl6sez »

Hello OM,

aha you know....
no it is not to not share with others, but if you have had searched the forum before you
would have found it a few times with the same effect and solution!
We can not have 100 times the same problems discussed if it is already here :)

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany