Check PTT/key

W8TEE

Check PTT/key

Post by W8TEE »

Just a note to newbies, like me:

I started the rig this morning to show it off to a friend. I got an error message:
Check PPT/key
When I first started the rig, I did not have a key plugged in, but I had the mode set to LSB (40M). I changed it to CW and was listening on the QRP slice of 40M. All was good. I turned it off, did some other stuff, and then my friend arrived...along with the error message when I powered up. I think what happened was the state of the rig was preserved in EEPROM when I changed the settings from LSB to CW. On reboot, it saw I was in CW mode, but no key was plugged in, and the error message issued.

Two more things:
  • Is there a document that lists the error messages?
  • I'm doing something wrong, as pressing the (left) menu push button doesn't exit me from the menu system.
Jack, W8TEE
Constrainted

Re: Check PTT/key

Post by Constrainted »

I have not had your experience.

I have gotten "Check PPT key" from the following:

1. Set menu 2.6 Keyer mode Iambic A
2. Run CW with paddle in Mic/Key
3. remove paddle
4. decide I want to do digital modes
5. attach digi cable to Mic/Key
6. try to operate, fail and generate the "Check PPT key" error
7. power down, remove all cables, power up
8. set menu 2.6 Keyer mode straight
9. resume

Good luck.

73 Constrainted
W8TEE

Post by W8TEE »

MY bad...again. If in the CW mode, you have to have a key plugged in or you get this message. Also, it there a list of default settings for the menu items?
Constrainted

Post by Constrainted »

W8TEE wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 17:29 MY bad...again. If in the CW mode, you have to have a key plugged in or you get this message. Also, it there a list of default settings for the menu items?
With my firmware, 2.00i, I have no problem operating with mode set to CW without a key, so long as the 2.6 Keyer Mode is Straight. The PTT button can operate as a key, or to send a tune signal, or to check the SWR.

73 Constrainted