(tr)uSDX won't power up intermittently

M5AEI

(tr)uSDX won't power up intermittently

Post by M5AEI »

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. My (tr)uSDX is connected to a Raspberry Pi for Digi-modes. It works most of the time but when I reboot the Pi or disconnect the USB to the radio it does not power back up. I have to disconnect the 12v supply and audio leads and keep plugging the USB in until it eventually starts up. I can then plug the 12v and audio back in. This is a pain as I use this radio remote and cannot reboot the Pi without losing the radio. It was fine until I flashed the Beta Firmware but that might be coincidence. I thought that it was dead until eventually it allowed a re-flash of normal firmware. I cannot see anything on the boards so was hoping somebody might have some other idea.

Thanks in advance,
Ellis M5AEI
dl6sez

Re: (tr)uSDX won't power up intermittently

Post by dl6sez »

Hello OM,

ground loop, use an usb isolator and af transformers (and opto-couplers if you switch something) between pi and (tr)uSDX.
Sometimes it works without but simple change in power supply or other antenna (ground differences) can lead to ground potential differences and a ground loop which can result in small current flow on the ground! Results in the behaviour you commented in your post :)

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany
M5AEI

Post by M5AEI »

Thanks Chris,

I will investigate and see what happens, although it was working without issue before. My second (tr)uSDX works fine in the same situation.

73 we Ellis
dl6sez

Post by dl6sez »

Hello OM,

did you reset it also after firmware updates every time (pressing tuning knob while connecting to power)?
Also if your second one does it, do a Bootloader reprograming and then Firmware again then reset....

73 de Chris
M5AEI

Post by M5AEI »

Hello OM,

I have to admit that I didn't do a reset before! :roll: It does seem more stable now and maybe the PI doesn't have enough power from USB( PI 3b). I will keep investigating and might try beta firmware again.

Thanks for you input.

73 de Ellis M5AEI
M5AEI

Post by M5AEI »

Hi OM,

the problem continues. It does not power up with Beta firmware. I re-flash to FW 2.0e it powers up and can be used but occasionally doesn't power up.

When I have some time I will reprogram the bootloader.

73 de Ellis
M5AEI

Post by M5AEI »

Update:

So Re-Flashed Bootloader using a USBasp. All good.

Re-Flashed Beta Firmware - Appeared ok but My Raspberry Pi 3 JS8Call consistently froze at CAT 115200. :o
Re-Flashed 2.0 Firmware - All appears to be working fine again. :)

I can now confirm that the radio has been returned to fully operational and can unplug 12v/USB and it comes back to life :D

Thank you Chris for your input.

73 de Ellis M5AEI
dl6sez

Post by dl6sez »

Hi Ellis,

good to hear you found the clue to get it working.
But i don't know why it doesn't work with your raspberry pi 3.
Nobody else has made a comment about freezes due to CAT in the firmware 2.00t beta comments.
I think there must be something different, maybe a timing issue with the Pi OS.... i have no idea.
Personally i don't use the (tr)uSDX for any digital mode only for CW and from time to time in SSB although i'm teaching C# and MC programming ;) There are also many Pis, ESP32s here for Ham Clock, PiStar, Lorawan igate, air quality station and other nice projects, but i must admit i hate FT8 and these modes aside because it is no communication only computerized rst exchange... also no contests for me :D

73 de Chris
M5AEI

Post by M5AEI »

Hi Chris,

FT8 :lol: , in the UK we know things like this as 'Marmite' you either love it or hate it :lol: . I use quite bit at the moment because my shack is unusable, so I connect remotely to two radios and digi-modes are the easiest to keep my hobby alive. I am trying to get my CW up to speed but its taking a while.

When I get some time I will try the beta again on my laptop but might wait until it is a finished release.

I too have esp's and multiple Pi's but lack the programming skills :roll:

73 de Ellis