Screen went to hexidecimal and is locked

Scott VO1DR

Screen went to hexidecimal and is locked

Post by Scott VO1DR »

Hi all, My first post. If this is addressed somewhere else, pls redirect me. Thanks.
I built my classic bands truSDX and overpowered it on 10 m (13.8V) and cooked the final FET. I replaced it and finished filter and power adjustments. I put it on the air about 3 nights ago and got my first QSO - dx from France with 3 W. Great! Soon after, the radio emitted a tone ~400 Hz on its own for 10 seconds and then screen went to a long hexidecimal string: 0E0F10111213151617. It was totally unresponsive to any controls. I cycled power and tried USB power - same thing. I have a photo, but couldn't figure out how to attach to this post (when I click image tab, I just get [img]).

Anyone know what happened? Any suggestions how to restore this to service? I'm hoping I don't have a "mini-brick"!
Many thanks in advance, and 72, Scott
dl6sez

Re: Screen went to hexidecimal and is locked

Post by dl6sez »

Hello OM,

you have to reprogram a firmware via usb with this serial showed on display.
Please have a look at the videos DL2MAN did for this topic and get the firmware on dl2man.de.

73 de Chris
Chris DL6SEZ, JN48XL near Ulm, Southern Germany
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Scott VO1DR wrote: 05 May 2023, 22:42 anhexidecimal string: 0E0F10111213151617.
Hi,

This progression indicates a dead At mega.
I would suggest to re-install bootloader and burn fuses again. After that, try to reinstall firmware, but i have not too much hope and assume your atmega needs to be exchanged.
It can easily be done with hit air soldering equipment.

73 Manuel DL2MAN
Scott VO1DR

Post by Scott VO1DR »

Hi Manuel, Thanks for info. I will try installing the bootloader and see if I can get my S/N to show up on display on startup. I have an Arduino Nano but not an Uno. Will a Nano board work for this? Also, if I need to replace with new ATmega328p, where is a recommended source for them and what are the steps to get the new one programmed from a cold start. I can solder on in, but I'm not an expert (at all) on programming with Arduino, etc.

Finally, any idea *why* this happened? Rig was working great and I had just made a DX contact when it gave a "death rattle" and went to that number on the display. I'd like to avoid that again!

Many thanks for advice. 72, Scott VO1DR
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

Hi,

Arduino Nano should work as well.
Instructions what to do regarding bootloader can be found here:
https://dl2man.de/3a-trusdx-bootloader/

Recommended source for AtMega would be any legit electronics supplier.
Chip crisis is over for the ATMega and they are available without problems:
https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Mic ... GNmQ%3D%3D

Why this happened ?
No definate answer, but maybe common mode current in combination with heated up rig.
Aged microcontroller ? Seriously: I have no clue..... Sorry.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
nd6t

Post by nd6t »

Problem resolved. Needed bootloader re-loaded, followed by complete firmware installation. Seems to work quite nicely now. After testing I returned it to Scott to see if he can get through another DX QSO without it mysteriously failing again!