CAT connection ?

clarkjwc

CAT connection ?

Post by clarkjwc »

I am looking to get in line in Feb for an assembled 4(tr)uSDX.
I see the pictures on the Web page that shows the external connections.
Where is the serial connection for CAT?
John
John
N0URE TI4JWC
Faraaz VK4JJ

Re: CAT connection ?

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

clarkjwc wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 22:09 I am looking to get in line in Feb for an assembled 4(tr)uSDX.
I see the pictures on the Web page that shows the external connections.
Where is the serial connection for CAT?
John
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

No, in all seriousness, I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you rephrase?

The serial connection is through the USB and then through a CH340G USB to serial interface.

clarkjwc

Post by clarkjwc »

I did not know that the USB connection is used for anything other than power.
John
N0URE TI4JWC
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

clarkjwc wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 13:51 I did not know that the USB connection is used for anything other than power.
Demo of the USB Interface
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mSntt8bmvg

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
Rens Pe1lgw

Post by Rens Pe1lgw »

The wsjt-x software works fine on the Usdx.
Settings as a kenwood TS480.

Pe1lgw
mm0gyx

Post by mm0gyx »

Rens Pe1lgw wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 20:02 The wsjt-x software works fine on the Usdx.
Settings as a kenwood TS480.

Pe1lgw
Yeah, I have spent hours decoding FT8 testing RX performance, but what about audio from PC to uSDX, it goes to Mic/Key right? I tried it and things didn't work so well, maybe my wiring is not correct. It doesn't go through USB too does it somehow?

Ian MM0GYX
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Edit: I browsed around in this forum and found a post (viewtopic.php?t=47) explaining how to set it up. I need to set DTR to always off. Are these settings correct?
n1mm settings.jpg
n1mm settings.jpg (85.81 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
Hi all,
I am a rather newbie in the HAM radio business. Unfortunately, I could not find any information on how to setup any logging software such as N1MM+ or wsjtx to work with the (tr)uSDX. I watched DL2MAN's videos on youtube where he shows that it is possible :) Is there anywhere a documentation that tells how to do it? Or could you help me out?

Mni tnx and vy 73
Stefan DF3ST
G0CVZ

Post by G0CVZ »

Hi All

Can I wire directly (no interface) from the audio sockets on my laptop to the audio sockets on the (tr)uSDX?

Mike
G0CVZ
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

G0CVZ wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 09:08 Can I wire directly (no interface) from the audio sockets on my laptop to the audio sockets on the (tr)uSDX?
You can do that. However: There is a risk involved as two devices with different voltage source are connected together. So it is not "good practice" and you do it at your own risk. But in my case, I do it all the time and it works.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
G0CVZ

Post by G0CVZ »

Hi Manuel

Thanks for the information.

However I tried using WSJT-X with my (tr)uSDX on FT8 without any audio cable connections.
All I had connected was the USB cable which also supplies power. I did not connect a 12V main supply.

The CAT worked OK and to my surprise it received signals. I could turn the transmit on with the tune function; but no signals were transmitted as there was no audio being sent to the (tr)uSDX. However there is audio coming from the laptop speakers.

What confuses me is that WSJT-X can receive audio but not send audio via the USB.

I think I have set everything up - what have I missed?

I assume it would work OK with an audio cable, but for some reason the 4 pole 3.5mm plug would not fit in my Lenovo Yoga laptop....I will look into that.

Mike
G0CVZ
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

I assume the audio-signals are being picked up by your Laptop Microphones from the (tr)USDX Speakers,
and decoded this way.... Turn on music next to your computer and you should see, that the waterfall changes.
Cat Streaming will come, but it requires another piece of software on your computer to emulate a virtual soundcard.... That piece of code does not yet exist and cat streaming is not enabled in the current firmware.

73 manuel, DL2MAN
G0CVZ

Post by G0CVZ »

Hi Manuel

You are 100% correct having just checked it out.

I know my hearing is not that good and I could only just hear the incoming sound on the tiny speaker, but I would have had a bet that the sound was coming through the USB.

I am amazed that the laptop could actually hear and detect FT8 - incredible

Thanks for answering my question so promptly

Mike G0CVZ
mm0hvw

Post by mm0hvw »

I use an Acer laptop, powered the (tr)USDX from the USB cable, their is no mic or loudspeaker on the radio, as I use earbuds.
When WSJTX is used in FT8 mode, can see decodes on the laptop.
The laptop has no audio connection to the radio.

How is this?
DL2MAN

Post by DL2MAN »

mm0hvw wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 21:05How is this?
That is an interesting question, but we´ll figure this out....
Maybe you discovered the secret key-combination for god mode ? :lol:

73 Manuel; DL2MAN
mm0hvw

Post by mm0hvw »

Hi everyone, I stand corrected, I am amazed at how sensitive a laptop microphone really is.

Using my Macbook laptop, its microphone is able to pickup the sound emanating from a set of earbuds plugged into (tr)uSDX and have ability for wsjtx FT8 to decode the signals.
This I now believe is what actually occured when using my Asus laptop

Please ignore my previous posts on this subject, I apologise for any actions to you all, that may have been incurred as a result of my posts.

Next time I will look twice at my configuration, then action.

Dave MM0HVW
hb9hem

Post by hb9hem »

WSJT-X with truSDX does currently only work in RX, is that correct?
Cheers,
Mark HB9HEM
Faraaz VK4JJ

Post by Faraaz VK4JJ »

hb9hem wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 09:10 WSJT-X with truSDX does currently only work in RX, is that correct?
Cheers,
Mark HB9HEM
There is no direct audio output from the computer to the (tr)usdx, but users have reported success by using the device in VOX mode and holding next to a computer speaker.
W6LKB

Post by W6LKB »

Seems like we should be able to take audio from the PC audio out and plug it into the mike jack. I do it with a Sabrent dongle between my Raspberry Pi and my uBITX with no issues using CAT to control the PTT.

I have CAT control with the (tr)uSDX now using a USB cable and an audio cable for receiving and it works great. But when I plug my standard mike cable from the audio out of the PC into the (tr)uSDX it causes my CAT connection to fail on WSJT-X.

Has anyone already solved this?
W6LKB

Post by W6LKB »

So I was able to run WSJT-X from the pi. The Kenwood setting sorta works but every time I xmit the frequency decreases. 0.001mhz even while using the tune button. Receiving works fine. I am using cables from a Sabrent dongle into the Audio and Mic jacks. It's really close to working!
Joe

Post by Joe »

I plan to try that dongle too for the raspberry Pi
OH8STN has some good youtube vids on the subject.
Need to fix my TX first.
Joe G4VDX
W6LKB

Post by W6LKB »

Using VOX versus CAT control allowed me to make my first FT8 contact with this radio. CAT causes transmission but it also causes the frequency to shift down with each sequence.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Joe G4VDX